We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honua Kai units? Towers? Suggestions?

Warren, Michigan
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Topic
Honua Kai units? Towers? Suggestions?

We are leaning towards HK....for those that have been do you have a unit number or vbro you would suggest? We need a two bedroom. (6 of us) and would like to stay around $400 night. Also, do you think 7 nights is enough or get a less expensive unit and stay longer?

Indy
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honua Kai units? Towers? Suggestions?

here's great info with floorplans, etc.

whalersrealty.com/condos/…index_honua_kai.php

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,199 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honua Kai units? Towers? Suggestions?

You definitely have a dilemma on your hands. I am all for staying longer, and finding a budget condo. But you need AC as well, and you want a "nice" beach for the kids, right out front. Throw in the need for two bedrooms, and $400.00 a night budget, it is hard to tick all the boxes.

And keep in mind the beaches that people are talking about, not being too far from HK, really are not that far at all. Granted, you are trying to get four kids out the door, so I feel for you! We took our three kids when they were teens, and that was hard enough!

Why don't you spend some time with google earth and street view? I start getting nauseous after a few minutes, but it may be worth your while to take a "walk" along that stretch of beach yourself, right in your own house!

Note: our first three trips to Maui were for just a week. It is never long enough, but if that is all you can manage, then take it! Even if you had two weeks, you can't see it all!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,287 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honua Kai units? Towers? Suggestions?

With the length of time that it takes to get to/from Maui from MI, going for longer would be nicer ... even a couple of extra days would help, but if you can only go for 7, then you'll still enjoy it a lot. I would opt for less expensive accommodations to add more days ... as long as it's clean and comfortable. With Honua Kai, you've zeroed in on one of the nicest condo resorts on Maui ... but keep in mind, that many, many people go to Maui and have a fantastic time staying at less expensive accommodations. Since you have so much time to search, I would keep looking at various options....something less expensive might jump out at you as being a good choice ... and then you would get to add on a few days, which would be really great!

Warren, Michigan
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honua Kai units? Towers? Suggestions?

Thanks Susan...I agree! I'm hoping to do about 8-9 nights and looking at less expensive units...but still love HK:)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honua Kai units? Towers? Suggestions?

Really, a "lesser" condo for a longer time will give your family a much better experience. Trust me, the kids don't remember anything but the time they spend one-on-one with their folks.

Level Contributor
36,362 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honua Kai units? Towers? Suggestions?

We had 6 nights in a two bedroom unit in Konea Tower. 6 nights went way too fast, try to stay longer! :).

Edited: 9:12 am, April 30, 2014
Warren, Michigan
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honua Kai units? Towers? Suggestions?

Ok..,call me crazy....I've never been....but I've also never down a vacation for more than 6 nights. And we go to Disney World annually. Besides snorkeling, handling in the beach, exploring trails....is there all that much more to do and see that we would need more than a week?!?!

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
182 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honua Kai units? Towers? Suggestions?

We go to Disney annually also and do 10 nights on our trips to Hawaii and it's never enough. You don't realize how much time travel takes up and the energy it drains from you. Stay as long as you can afford, trust me

Warren, Michigan
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Honua Kai units? Towers? Suggestions?

Really? Ok. My husband and I were just on the Big Island in February - I earned a trip through my business - it was only 4 nights. Up we had no problem with the time change. Maybe cause we're young? Lol! ;)

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honua Kai units? Towers? Suggestions?

I used to feel the same way. For our honeymoon, we stayed 8 nights and I thought that was soooo long. We didn't begin to see it all--my itinerary for my trip this November (7 nights) is jam-packed already and it's 6 months away. I knew what things missed on our first visit and easily filled our itinerary with them. Since hubby is a music teacher (who teaches year-round), 7-8 nights is already pushing it for us. But I can see why people go 10+ days, where I didn't before.

That being said, if you could do 7-8 actual nights (not counting the 2 travel days), that would be great.