We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton, Westin, or Hyatt??

San Clemente...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sheraton, Westin, or Hyatt??

Taking our 10 year anniversary trip to maui at the end of May and I can't make a decision between these three hotels. Beach is important and I have read that Sheraton would be the best choice, but I also want nice grounds. My ideal would be to have a beach that has food and drink service on it. Do any of the beaches at these three hotels even offer that? I also would like to be close enough to walk to go out to dinner and bars in the evening. We also want to go do some hiking and snorkeling, I have read that the service is not good at Westin and there is a lot of construction going on there, so as of right now it is at the bottom of my list. Any recommendations and input would be greatly appreciated!

Skyline Eco Adventure
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Blue Maui Ocean Adventures
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
West Maui Parasail
Parasailing & Paragliding
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,612 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton, Westin, or Hyatt??

If beach is important, skip the Hyatt. It is the furthest south on Ka'anapali Beach and it is the narrowest there. But of course, you don't have to walk very far to get to the nicer beach area.

Sheraton is indeed in a spectacular location, with Black Rock right there, but it does get busy there beacuasse of that.

Construction going on at the Hyatt as well.

Hiking is wonderful on Maui. There is the Pipiwai Trail, at Oheo Gulch, a half hour further the town of Hana. And there is Waihee Ridge as well, by the Mendes Ranch.

Kapalua Coastal Trail is more of a walk than a hike, but gorgeous none the less.

There is also a hike down at La Perouse Bay, the King's Trail.

Lots of snorkeling right from shore on Maui. Right now you are on the Ka'anapali forum. If you hop over to the Maui main page, there will be lots of information for you, right hand side of the page, in blue letters. One of them is specifically for snorkeling.

Welcome to Trip Advisor, and happy anniversary too!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,866 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton, Westin, or Hyatt??

You won't find any alcoholic drinks being served on any beach in Hawaii. All the beaches are public and as such very little hotel intrusion on them especially on Maui.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,801 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton, Westin, or Hyatt??

I have heard of construction at the Westin, but the Hyatt is building a new tower and their stretch of beach at the southend of Ka'anapali is rather depressing. Otherwise nice enough. Some people really hate the Westin, some love it, but it does have a better location than the Hyatt that is fact. The Sheraton would be the best of the three for beach & snorkeling. Westin is handiest to Whaler's Village. All are on the beach path, and the shuttle line. There is no hiking except on the beach or the golfcourse, lol. You need to drive for hiking, but you can walk for miles. There is no beach service at all... if you get decent pool service on Maui consider yourself lucky... unless you're at a five star property.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton, Westin, or Hyatt??

You want the Sheraton Maui! I'm assuming that you aren't bringing kids.

Best beach ... quietest. Wonderful expansive grounds, and you can walk up on Black Rock for some amazing views. There are rooms on Black Rock as well. Easy walk to Whaler's Village. Easy parking. Snorkeling on-site and nearby. Shuttle to Lahaina ... and you can take it to Whaler's Village if you are feeling lazy.

Westin has no grounds at all. Noisy. Kinda scrunched. Kid pools make it a kid-magnet. I don't recommend it.

The Hyatt - construction underway. A nice resort, but the beach is lacking ... so the pools are very nice. Good kids services. Lots of retail. Tends to cater to large groups/meetings and families with kids.

Here is a rough map of the Ka'anapali resort area. If it comes up small, click on it. kaanapaliresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/…

Lahaina, Hawaii
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton, Westin, or Hyatt??

Aloha and congratulations on your 10th anniversary! Maui is a spectacular place to celebrate!

I am a manager at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa and I wanted to share some info about the resort. We are located on Ka'anapali Beach at the south end. You can see our beach from our webcam on our website. As mentioned the beach is public, so you won't find service from a hotel or restaurant on the beach anywhere on the island.

Snorkeling is great right off of the shore in Ka'anapali from Canoe Beach near Hyatt to Black Rock near Sheraton. Good hiking is a little bit of a drive from the resort area. My favorite is the Kapalua trails about 20 minutes north by car. If you're feeling adventurous and want to drive to the eastern part of the island,Twin Falls in Huelo is great and of course the Oheo Gulch (seven sacred pools) in Kipahulu is the most amazing waterfall hike! (It's also about 3-4 hours from Kaanapali!)

Regarding the construction, I'd like to clarify that Hyatt is building a vacation ownership tower next door to the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa. This construction has no impact on the resort, with the exception of the rooms facing the building site in Napili Tower. The rooms are labeled "Obstructed View" and are offered at a discounted rate since you may experience some noise disturbance and a view of the building site. All other room views, restaurants, spa, and the rest of the resort are unaffected.

I hope this is helpful! Happy anniversary and have a wonderful stay in Ka'anapali!

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton, Westin, or Hyatt??

I've stayed at the Hyatt and Sheraton a few times and have had a few meals and cocktails at the Westin. My choice would be the Sheraton.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton, Westin, or Hyatt??

We just stayed at the Westin for 3 nights in January and the construction was on the tail end at that time. They were finishing the refurbishing on the last two floors and it had no impact on our stay other than some noise heard in the hallways during the day. We were on the floor directly above construction and didn't hear anything unless we went out on our balcony. I'm sure it's finished now. We had no issues with bad service and as far as swimming pools go there is an adults only pool which was very nice. There is pool side bar service but no beach bar service. We enjoyed using the shuttle service to Lahaina as well. We were there during busy whale season and didn't have trouble finding a pool lounger. It should be even more quiet while your there. The Sheraton is also on the shuttle route. All three locations have restaurants and pools and beautiful beaches. My recomendation would be who can give you the best price. Enjoy your holiday and anniversary!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,196 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton, Westin, or Hyatt??

Here is a recent thread on the same topic (sort of). I thought it had fair evaluations of the hotels.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60634-i87-k733701…

I find the Westin property too crowded and cramped and the service so so.

I like the Hyatt better than the Sheraton in general, but if I can get in buildings 4, 5 or 6 at the Sheraton, I like those rooms and that setting better. Here is a topic on that from a few days ago.

tripadvisor.com/…57351759

Edited: 10:01 am, April 09, 2014
Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheraton, Westin, or Hyatt??

There is a trip report under The Sheraton where a gentlemen reviewed all three of these resorts recently. The just of it was that he would skip the Westin all together but the Hyatt and Sheraton were pretty well a tie. The Hyatt has the better pools, restaurants and workout facility but the Sheraton grounds and over all feel were better. I say whoever has the better rate either Sheraton or Hyatt that is what I would go with they are both fantastic!

California
Level Contributor
6,689 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sheraton, Westin, or Hyatt??

All three properties are very nice and you can't go wrong with either. Most any of us on this forum would be happy to stay at either of them. It's just that most of us have favorites, for me it would be the Sheraton but price would be a big factor. I'd love to know what the three price quotes you have are. Your basically comparing apples to apples with these three so saving a couple hundred dollars might be a big deal. It would me.