We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Whalers at Kaanapali or Honua Kai

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
The Whalers at Kaanapali or Honua Kai

I wanted some advice on which resort to select between the whalers or Honua kai. I know HK is fairly new and like a 4 star resort. Howz whaler in terms of cleaniness and location? Some of the reviews were very bad in terms of how bad the service is, bathrooms have molds, ants or some other insects in room. Is it that bad?

I am looking for a condo with kitchen, near to beach and have a pool for kid. We are strict vegetarian so will be mostly making our lunch\dinner in the room.

So both resort fits our wishlist, with one being new and other being old\dated but the price difference is around $600, so seeking some opinion.

Thanks

Skyline Eco Adventure
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
West Maui Parasail
Parasailing & Paragliding
Blue Maui Ocean Adventures
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Whalers at Kaanapali or Honua Kai

You don't mention how many nights are involved in the extra $600 pop(?)

The Whaler's units can be hit & miss, elevators are slow and many feel the pool's post renovation design (it wasn't a big hit 'pre-renovation' either..) constitutes a travesty-level debacle. None of the above can be truly said about the Honua Kai, though some units are obviously better located within the resort, but also come with a premium price.

Some folks feel the absolute need to be directly on Ka'anapali Beach proper -- the Whaler facilitates this requirement at a generally moderate nightly rack rate. I have been happy staying there, but also feel the extra dough (for Honua Kai..) is well-spent, depending on the private financials of the individual doing the booking & obviously also depending on how many nights we're talking..

Alo)(a, NKO

Edited: 3:47 am, November 04, 2013
Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
766 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Whalers at Kaanapali or Honua Kai

Here is some info for vegetarians.

Happy Cow, shows numerous locations for obtaining vegetarian ingredients as well as restaurants that are vegetarian friendly.

http://www.happycow.net/gmaps/searchmap.php?distance=15&x=32&y=12&address=Kihei%2C+Hawaii%2C+96753&lat=20.7236&lon=-156.45

Maui Dining Guide’s Alphabetical List of Vegetarian & Vegan Restaurants.

http://www.vsh.org/Veg-Friendly-Maui.htm

http://www.veg-out.com/

Fresh, local and organic juice of all types, try Maui Juice Company!

http://www.mauijuicecompany.com/#

Excellent SMOOTHIES and VEGETARIAN FOOD, try Choice Health Bar in Lahaina

mauidish.com/maui-restaurant-reviews/…

Another good place to try is Mana Foods in Paia. It's a natural food store with lots of cool local products, including unusual fruits and some good prepared foods too.

Fruit and Vegetable Seasonality Chart:

…hawaii.edu/sustainag/…seasonality_poster.pdf

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,695 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Whalers at Kaanapali or Honua Kai

Since it doesn't sound like you need the proximity to dining at Whaler's Village and pools are a priority I would go with the HK, especially if that $600 is spread over a week or more.

Denver
Level Contributor
303 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Whalers at Kaanapali or Honua Kai

I just returned from The Whaler and had a wonderful time there. I posted pics of our room and scans of the layout of all the rooms at the Resort including the sizes (there are 3 different pics that show the hotel layout). If you rent from an owner, you can see pictures of the unit and reviews specific to that unit.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Whalers at Kaanapali or Honua Kai

Thanks everyone. Yes it is spread over a week and the price comparison is for same number of days.

I was just debating if it's the quality of the room\resort and the amenties seemed same between Whaler and HK. Yeah I know it's not a direct comparison per say, but trying to evaluate from my context what additional amenties HK is providing which is not in Whaler.

I guess it comes down to HK will provide a luxury experience and Whaler is bang for the buck if you plan to be outside more and just looking for a pool.

Mauinut, thanks a bunch for all the info on places for vegetarians, this is great.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Whalers at Kaanapali or Honua Kai

Honua Kai has a small deli in the lobby that serves food. It is owned by the restaurant Pacific's and they grow their own veggies.

The Whaler is next door to Whalers Village Shops and restaurants.

Did you look at Kaanapali Alii.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Whalers at Kaanapali or Honua Kai

The pool at the Whaler is relatively smallish, though beachside.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Whalers at Kaanapali or Honua Kai

HK for rooms and pools/amenities. The Whaler for location... although in a busier area.

vancouver
Level Contributor
182 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Whalers at Kaanapali or Honua Kai

Whaler: better location for sure, smaller property, some older units but most have better closer water views,, better beach but smaller pool, underground self parking can be busy during peak times, better boardwalk for evening walks with better lighting and more people. No on site restaurants but plenty nearby.

HK: newer, all have in suite laundry, nicer pools, longer walk to the beach as some units are set further back, some units are noisy from the highway.

I personally like the whaler for the location.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Whalers at Kaanapali or Honua Kai

We stayed next door at the KBH and walked past the Whaler, for three days, to go places to easily eat and every time we would comment on how horribly placed the pool was.....,Lol! Maybe that's just us, but it was small, right next to the beach walk, complete lack of privacy and nothing at all special. It was a complete downer to us! I have never stayed at either property, but if the pool matters to you, the Whaler's completely turned us off! And I have read the HK's pool/s are awesome......I think. Maybe other folks like to be literally right next to the busy beach walk, no privacy whatsoever and cramped, tiny, in your face everywhere you go kind of pool, chairs crammed in right next to each other like sardines and very little room for walking around the area. That was just how this pool seemed to us every time we walked by. Deb