We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaanapali to West Maui airport

Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kaanapali to West Maui airport

We are staying at the Whaler for 5 nights and then flying to Oahu. I am debating whether we should fly out of West Maui airport or OGG. Can anyone tell me the cost of a cab/shuttle to get to the West Maui airport from Kaanapali? We are going over the week of Christmas so renting a car for the entire time is not necessarily more economical. The prices are really high at that time so I am looking at all options. I have found costs for shuttle from OGG but cannot find out any cost from Kaanapali to West Maui airport. Thanks!!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaanapali to West Maui airport

Try Executive, they serve JHM (West Maui airport)

http://www.hawaiiexecutivetransportation.com/

Their rate checker says $10 for one, $13 for 2.

Edited: 11:25 am, July 31, 2013
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,015 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaanapali to West Maui airport

Looking at rates for West Maui Taxi, I would guess $15. but you could call them to make sure. It's less than 5 miles to the airport from the Whaler. http://westmauitaxi.com/services_and_rates

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,426 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaanapali to West Maui airport

Rent a car the whole time and don't fly into or out of the West Maui Airport.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,048 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kaanapali to West Maui airport

http://hawaii.gov/jhm I just pulled up JHM's website ... and it doesn't say who flies in and out. Island Air doesn't; Go! Airlines doesn't. JHM isn't my specialty, so I assume that others will chime in ...

But I think that you are being "penny-wise and pound-foolish by not rental a car for the full time and having it at your disposal the full time. And I would want to fly Hawaiian Airlines - not the smaller airlines (small prop planes, small fleet). You understand that jets don't fly out of JHM, yes? And only Hawaiian Airlines flies jets, and they fly out of OGG. Hawaiian Airlines is buying some small planes ... but when they will become operational and where?? I don't know. Maybe nobody knows at this point.

So nab that car while you can, and drive to OGG. That would be my advice.

And the cost for a cab to JHM from the Whaler ... about $15.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,289 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kaanapali to West Maui airport

I think your first move should be to verify the availability of seats out of JHM. Since Island Air stopped service with its roomy turboprops, service is limited to Go and Mokulele, which use the Cessna Caravan, which can seat like 15 people. And on a limited schedule. I hear that Hawaiian may come in with small planes, but I don't know what's happening there. Too bad. I love JHM and its convenience. Good Luck.

Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kaanapali to West Maui airport

Thanks for the info. I will look into all of the suggestions. I appreciate it!!!

Edited: 12:21 pm, July 31, 2013
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,675 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kaanapali to West Maui airport

Mokulele is the only airline using JHM now. It separated from "go" a long time ago and is trying to shed the rep.

They only fly the small Cessnas.

8. Re: Kaanapali to West Maui airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 02, 2014