We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Claiming that Kaanapali is "unsafe"

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Claiming that Kaanapali is "unsafe"

Now, considering that the post regarding the "assault" near Whaler's Village has been removed, can I assume it was all a big joke? I'd really like to know if it is genuinely safe for me to walk to Whaler's Village by myself to get ice cream around 9PM. If it isnt, I'm not interested in visiting anymore.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Claiming that Kaanapali is "unsafe"

You are making assumptions without proof that no one can really answer. TA moderators yanked the thread. This type of thread is against TA guidelines. So, whether it was real or just a joke (which I don't think it was), isn't the issue.

I do believe it was an isolated incident. No one can guarantee your safety. Can you guarantee mine if I visit Vancouver? Thousands of people come to Maui yearly without ANY problems. If you let this one incident deter you from coming to Maui, it will be a shame. Random violence can happen anywhere. Who is to say if you go to a new location that you would be any safer there?

dallas
Level Contributor
193 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Claiming that Kaanapali is "unsafe"

agree with msfuzz

ontario
Level Contributor
292 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Claiming that Kaanapali is "unsafe"

I cannot believe that someone would not go to Maui because of this thread. Any place you travel will have some crime no matter where it is. I went to Cuba and had my clothing stolen right out of our room when we went on a day trip. There is crime everywhere, even in Canada aye!

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Claiming that Kaanapali is "unsafe"

I also agree with MsFizz and I want to add one more thing.

My mother is like the least "situational aware" person on the planet. As long as I am not within her eyesight, I can sneak right up behind her and follow her along the street for as long as she walks along it, and she will not even know I am there unless I tap her on the shoulder.

Seriously I fear for her safety on a regular basis - whether at home here or wherever she may travel to.

Me, I am always keeping an eye out behind me and around me. If I see someone I think looks a bit dodgy I'll keep an eye on them, I won't necessarily turn around and stare, but I'll use things like car windows or shop windows to see what is going on behind me. If someone gets too close, yes, I will turn around and look straight at them. They then know that I know they are there, so they know if they choose to do something it will be more difficult for them because I am aware of them.

My last trip (to Oahu) I spent a lot of time by myself out and about and never once did I feel unsafe but I strongly believe part of the reason for that is my conscious choice to be aware of my surroundings.

There are no yes or no answers to this question regardless of the location you ask it about. You could be perfectly safe at 9pm. At 9.01 or 8:59 you could run into a group of young kids looking to throw things at passersby, or you could run into the next Ted Bundy - whether or not he is a local doesn't matter. Ted Bundy types travel, too.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Claiming that Kaanapali is "unsafe"

I agree with Ms. Fuzz as well, and add - I wouldn't go out alone at 9:00 pm anywhere.... not even down the block here in Vancouver.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,106 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Claiming that Kaanapali is "unsafe"

Sarah, you are from VANCOUVER!!!! I appreciate you are relatively new to TA, but please put this in perspective. Gangs are killing their rivals in broad daylight in our province. But you don't see threads on the B. C. forum about not coming to B. C. because of this. The regulars do steer people away from the East End, but nothing else is mentioned much.

Maui is a wonderful place to visit, but it is no different that anywhere else in the world in that there is crime.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Claiming that Kaanapali is "unsafe"

MsFuzz, not MsFizz! Eek, sorry :) probably tis past my bedtime. :)

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Claiming that Kaanapali is "unsafe"

I don't thing the assault report was a joke, but I do wonder if Sarah's comment about safety & not being interested in visiting Maui was said, 'tongue in cheek' ?

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Claiming that Kaanapali is "unsafe"

I agree crime can happen anywhere and does even in the smalls of towns or most rural areas. You can't live your life in a bubble.

I have been on this forum for a few years surely if this was a common occurrence someone would know about I'm not saying it didn't happen i'm just saying don't let it scare you away from Maui.

By the way I saw your other post on the original thread about spending more to go to Maui than the Caribbean crime happens there too it was just in the news here locally about a couple from the next state over SC about a trial starting on the island of St Maarten because the couple were murdered in a home invasion while on the island.

I think you will be ok walking around Ka'anapali at 9pm I'm sure you won't be the only one. Now saying that I wouldn't be out in the middle of the night walking around by myself anywhere.

Edited: 4:27 pm, April 15, 2013
North Carolina
Level Contributor
18 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Claiming that Kaanapali is "unsafe"

My husband and I just returned from spending three nights in Ka'anapali and found it to be quiet at 9pm. That being said, I personally would never go anywhere alone at 9pm while on vacation. We bought a small carton of ice-cream and kept it in our refrigerator. I found it still humid and hot at 9pm so who wants to be out walking then anyway?