We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whalers to Dukes

New Zealand
Level Contributor
292 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Whalers to Dukes

Staying at the Whaler in September and keen to try Dukes at the Honua Kai.

Can someone tell if this is pretty much the same as Dukes in Waikiki ? We have a week in Waikiki so will probably eat at the one in Waikiki before we arrive in Maui - is it worth going again for a different view?

Also, what would be the best way to get there. Don't want to drive as we'll have a drink or two and it looks too far to walk. - Any thoughts?

Plover, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
538 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whalers to Dukes

The best way would be to walk the beach trail it will take you right to Duke's from the whaler. It's about a 30-40 min walk so reserve a table for around 6 pm and enjoy the walk there as the sun is setting. The trail is lighted for the walk back. I always take a flashlight just incase, safety wise i would say its good since most of the trail is close to resorts or passes through the center of some if your concerned.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whalers to Dukes

It's very similar to Waikiki's Duke's...The Hula Grill and Leilani's are affiliated restaurants and are right next to The Whaler in Whaler's Village.

Level Contributor
34,748 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whalers to Dukes

You will love the Duke's at Honua Kai! The views are beautiful, service friendly and attentive and they serve delicious Mahi Mahi! :).

New Zealand
Level Contributor
292 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whalers to Dukes

Thanks everyone - super quick and helpful as always. Didn't realise it was so close:-)

Might get a cab back if this is easy enough??

Also if we booked in advance, are there any particular seating areas or tables we should request to get the best views etc.?

Same for Leilanis and Hula Grill - DH and I are there for 4 nights so will try them all !

London, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whalers to Dukes

They offered to call a cab for us when we were there in December. Hula Grill and Dukes in Waikiki are on top of each other directly on the beach, and both have excellent sunset views. Hula Grill, Leilani's and Dukes in Maui are set slightly behind the beach, although have lovely sunset views also. My personal favs were Hula Grill in Waikiki and Leilani's in Kaanapali.

6. Re: Whalers to Dukes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 13, 2014