We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK here are the finals [so far]....

Indy
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
OK here are the finals [so far]....

next summer 1 week. Family of 5; older kids so privacy and 2 Bathrooms are a plus.

My MIL is coming and we will rent her a studio near us.

Since we'll be off adventuring during the day and she may or may not join us [she loves reading and lounging by pool/beach].

I thought the location of KV would be better for her. But I'm having a hard time with the price.

I can get several 2BRs @ Papakea for $1500 vs 1BR at KV for $1500. I've sent inquiries to see if a 2BR would rent for $2500 but that would be $1k more than Papakea....but the location, beach and pools are less attractive.

I can also get a 1BR + Den at Honua Kai for $2100.

I have researched EVERYWHERE and those are the best deals I can find. You name it, I've considered it.

I can also do Westin Villas or Marriott Ocean Club through REdweek [can't remember which was more affordable] for about $2500 for the 2BR. My concern would be if we couldn't book MIL near us.

Last option is a 3BR /3 BA in Papakea that will hold all 6 of us for $3k. I'm not sure she'll want to be that close to us. LOL.

opinions?

Thanks...

Indy
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: OK here are the finals [so far]....

HAHA. shows what i know. thanks. i'll look into it.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: OK here are the finals [so far]....

You can check out this site it has good aerial views of the resort areas and most of the condos and hotels in them.

Click on free info and then Maui.

www.hawaiirevealed.com

Indy
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: OK here are the finals [so far]....

So now Honua Kai is back in the running.

the unit for us is $500 more than Papakea. A little high but not as bad as sMKV. And I found a studio that was priced $300 above the one in Papakea ....

I guess I will just have to decide.

Trish

Indy
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: OK here are the finals [so far]....

UNCMOM2011...

I appreciate the deal you got at Nohonanai. It appears a little too basic for our 'wants' like an on-site restaurant, a hot tub, etc.

Thanks though. The views are AMAZING.

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: OK here are the finals [so far]....

OK, if Honua Kai is back in the running, I'd say go for it!!!

You want your MIL to be "thrilled" with the resort. I think she will be. We were!

Edited: 1:48 pm, February 23, 2013
Indy
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: OK here are the finals [so far]....

anything in kihie that might work?

I still want kaanapali villas but papakea is probably gonna be my pick unless construction a problem...

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,446 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: OK here are the finals [so far]....

Aloha,

I would take MKV any day over Papakea, sorry. And yes, I would--if I were a tourist-pick Honua Kai over MKV, if I wanted more bells and whistles.

Kihei shouldn't be compared to Kaanapali. It's a town type area, whereas K'pali is a planned resort development. Compare K'pali to Wailea, that's fair.

Compare Honokowai to Kihei--same thing, that's fair.

Have you (gasp, shock, horror, LOL) checked Aston's rates for MKV? Yes, sometimes the big corp management cos. have some good deals.

Last note--I think you are booking way too early for the summer of 2014. I wouldn't book anything for that period until this December or so.

Edited: 8:01 pm, February 24, 2013
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: OK here are the finals [so far]....

TnT

No worries everybody has their own likes and dislikes. We are not into resorts and basic is usually our travel style.

I agree with sw if your not going till summer 2014 I would'nt book now gives you time to really research.

I started planning our trip in June after we got back from our last trip in march 2011 but didn't book anything till last sept when I booked our flights to Maui.

Indy
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: OK here are the finals [so far]....

thx for great tips. :-) appreciate all help.

20. Re: OK here are the finals [so far]....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 26, 2014