We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Ka'anapali vs. Ka'anapali Alii

California
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Westin Ka'anapali vs. Ka'anapali Alii

Hi, we have a trip planned at the start of July. Have been to Maui multiple times and want to stay directly on Ka'anapli beach this time. We will be in Maui for 10 days and will be spending 4 nights either at the Westin or Alii. First question is do either of these properties ever offer deals or discounts on their Suites. The Westin was our first choice but the Suites at the Alii look to be half the price. Second, how nice is the Alii? We are familiar with the Westin but do not know much about the Alii. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Calgary
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin Ka'anapali vs. Ka'anapali Alii

I have never stayed at the Westin but love love love the Alii!! We have stayed there 3 times (fourth coming up in May). We have always rented through VRBO so I can't comment on what kind of a unit you would get booking directly through the resort. The grounds are spectacular, the pools renovated about 2 years ago, the bbq's are immaculate and we love the beach and the proximity to Whaler's Village. Everybody has their favourite but I'm definitely a huge fan of the Alii (in case you couldn't already tell)!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,265 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin Ka'anapali vs. Ka'anapali Alii

I would vote for the Ali'i - because there is no way I would recommend the Westin.

Have you looked at the Sheraton and the Hyatt on Ka'anapali. Also excellent options ... and much better than the Westin.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
52 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin Ka'anapali vs. Ka'anapali Alii

The Ali'i would be an excellent choice - I second the suggestion to try through vrbo.com. We use that website every year and have found some great deals on condos. You could also look at The Whaler - just down the beach from the Ali'i and you can find nice units for less. Plus with a condo you get the use of a kitchen - a huge plus on any vacation!

Socal
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin Ka'anapali vs. Ka'anapali Alii

Another vote for the Alii and VRBO. The rack rates are high at this property so a bit of research is worth the time. We really like staying there.

California
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin Ka'anapali vs. Ka'anapali Alii

What is the difference between booking directly through Alii and booking through VRBO?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin Ka'anapali vs. Ka'anapali Alii

I prefer to book through a licensed agent with front desk employees. They manage the most rooms and have maintenance staff on property. You have more options of room types and the participating units have to have the ammenities, linnens, and standard set by the managing agents.

The Alii were built delux , with large square footage. The kitchens are great.

Through VRBO you are booking with an owner of one unit

Calgary
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin Ka'anapali vs. Ka'anapali Alii

As far as I'm concerned the price is the biggest difference. Many people are wary of VRBO and I totally get this as I was extremely nervous the first time I used it. But this being our 5th time using VRBO I no longer feel that way. I'm pretty good at trusting my instincts. The owners of the unit we stay in now are excellent. They live on Maui, respond very quickly to emails and are very reasonable when it comes to price, deposits etc. If you want to send me a private message I can pass along her email address or VRBO # and you can check it out for yourself.

Denver
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin Ka'anapali vs. Ka'anapali Alii

I don't know the Alii at all (other than walking by it) but we love the Westin. We have stayed many times and have never had any major complaints. As for deals, if you have a starwood membership, you can often get 5 nights for the price of 4, and other such discounts. Also, if you are starwood gold member, you will always get upgraded to the next highest available room style when you arrive, assuming one is available (and we have never NOT gotten one).

That being said, I don't think the Westin has any kitchens in their suites (other than the super high dollar Imperial and Ali'i suites), so if you really want a 'condo' experience to be able to make your own meals, etc, I would go with the Alii. Also, we have booked through VRBO a number of times all over the country and have never had a bad experience. Good luck!

BLBL, I am curious when the last time was that you stayed at the Westin. We were there last 2 years ago and I am wondering if things have changed drastically since then, given your distaste for the property.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,856 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin Ka'anapali vs. Ka'anapali Alii

>>>BLBL, I am curious when the last time was that you stayed at the Westin. We were there last 2 years ago and I am wondering if things have changed drastically since then, given your distaste for the property.<<<

Not sure when Betty Lou last stayed there, but my last stay was probably four years ago (and it was my 3rd or 4th time at the hotel) and the hotel's major deficiencies (other than personnel) are not ones that can be changed unless they tear down the property and start over.

I was in Ka'anapali (Hyatt Regency) six months ago and nothing about the Westin has changed that would change my feelings. I am a Starwood PPG member and would never stay at the Westin again. All my Starwood stays would go to the Sheraton or Westin Villas.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westin Ka'anapali vs. Ka'anapali Alii

We just returned from the westin-we have been staying there since 1992-love the place. The landscaping, 5 pools, separate kids pool,the ease of accessing the beach, absolute quiet, the lobby, around the lagoo, the location, close to the Whalers' Village and several restaurants, these are some of the reasons we love that hotel.

Yes, we will be there a year from now again. By the way, they are renovation the rooms 3 fllors at a time-so, we will be in a renovated room next January. We also like the Hyatt.