We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Whaler or Maui Eldorado?

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
392 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
The Whaler or Maui Eldorado?

Which do you prefer overall for a family vacation? We were originally planning on going to Oahu but decided to return to Maui instead! :) Last time we stayed at Kaanapali Beach Hotel and really enjoyed it. This time we figure a condo might be better for the extra space and breakfast in the room with our two girls (ages 4 & 7). Planning on going for 7 nights arriving Nov 21. Looking at a studio or 1 br and we do plan on renting a car for a couple of days.

Thanks for your input.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,508 Reviews
Maui, HI
Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The Whaler or Maui Eldorado?

We've rented directly from the owner of a one bedroom condo at the Eldorado for the last 4 years. The beach cabana is great, towel attendant and very low key. We take a cooler, sandwiches, cameras with us and get the Eldorado golf cart to take us down there and bring us back. If we didn't have so much stuff we would walk. Don't know how much the parking is at the Whaler, but Eldorado has been $7/day. Eldorado has two heated pools and one other pool on the grounds. The large pool has two gas grills next to it and another 2 gas grills at the other heated pool area.

Mentioned in this post
Maui Eldorado
Maui Eldorado
886 Reviews
Maui, HI
Boston
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: The Whaler or Maui Eldorado?

I'm having the same problem. I like the Whaler for its location. Right on beach and its on the better side of Black Rock for snorkeling. The Eldorado though has larger rooms and choice between their quieter beach or the south side. I would be interested where you decided to stay.

Mentioned in this post
Black Rock
Black Rock
820 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui Eldorado
Maui Eldorado
886 Reviews
Maui, HI
Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
688 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: The Whaler or Maui Eldorado?

I'm at Honua Kai right now the pools here are perfect for young kiddos! A friend of ours stayed at the Eldorado and the pool we were at was very deep. I'd stay somewhere with a beach front location with little kids.

Mentioned in this post
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,347 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui Eldorado
Maui Eldorado
886 Reviews
Maui, HI
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
566 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: The Whaler or Maui Eldorado?

If you're looking for a studio, I believe the Eldorado's are larger. The 1 & 2 bedroom units at The Whale are quite spacious. Parking at the Whaler is currently $12 / day I believe.

Given the choices, I'd rather be on the beach than near the beach. You'll have to balance the cost differential and make a value decision :-)

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: The Whaler or Maui Eldorado?

The El Dorado has three pools on the grounds. Two are heated and one is not. The largest one is about 8' deep I believe and the other two are more for kids

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
265 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: The Whaler or Maui Eldorado?

My husband and I stayed at the Whaler, and loved it. We had a studio. We are going back next year with our kids and reserved a 2 bedroom condo in Kihei for less than we paid for our Whaler studio. I found a great location which I think has most of the features about the Whaler we love so much...close to the beach, shopping and restaurants. I didn't really like Kihei when we drove through it, however since the people here love it so much and I found a location that is suitable I figured why not give it a try. It's a pipe dream to buy a condo in Maui so we better check out all the different areas to make sure we buy in the right area.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
17. Re: The Whaler or Maui Eldorado?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 08, 2014