We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waves in February at Black Rock?

Myrtle Beach, South...
8 posts
Save Topic
Waves in February at Black Rock?

I've heard the waves are much larger in the winter months in Hawaii. Does anyone have first hand experience snorkeling at Black Rock in February?

Are there any coves that might be protected, but still shallow and plenty of fish and turtles, etc.?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,225 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waves in February at Black Rock?

It can vary day by day....black rock is not really a cove...it is the area of rock that jets out that the Sheraton is on....the further you go out around the point the more dangerous it can be. If you are looking for calm areas, we can suggest other bays.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,905 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waves in February at Black Rock?

Large waves are typically a North Shore experience...

Black Rock is in West Maui....I have never had a "surf" problem there...

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,453 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waves in February at Black Rock?

Surf can come up on the west side, more so in the winter months than summer. It will be a day by day basis. The best, most consistent ocean conditions during the winter months will be found in south Maui.

If surf isn't a problem, go to Kahekili Beach Park for snorkeling. Black Rock is just mediocre compared to a lot of other places on Maui to snorkel.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
227 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waves in February at Black Rock?

We went at the end of January last year and the people sitting next to us complained about the current being very strong. Personally I didn't think it was bad at all, but it was a bit rougher than most of the other places we snorkeled at.

The only thing I'd be careful with is when you go all the way to the edge of the point there's like a shelf -- like a somewhat level area covered by several feet of water (sorry, I'm bad at explaining this, hopefully you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it) where the water level fluctuates with the incoming waves and it pushes you up towards the rock. You can snorkel there but be mindful of the waves so you don't get pushed into the coral ... the shelf is slightly angled upward towards the rock so it gets shallower the closer you get to the rock ... make sure you stay where it's deep enough to turn around without standing on the coral to avoid getting slammed.

5. Re: Waves in February at Black Rock?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, January 06, 2014