We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset cruises leaving from the beach

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset cruises leaving from the beach

Looking into doing a sunset cruise out of Ka'anapali--looks like there are a couple. Boarding straight off the beach looks to be the norm.

My question is--how wet do you get when getting on the boat?? Can I wear capris, or will those get soaked?? How scary is the prospect of bringing my $$$$ first-born electronic child with me?? (my Canon DSLR camera) Bad idea?? No problem at all??

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset cruises leaving from the beach

Aloha,

Capris are a much better idea than the short sundresses we see, LOL!

Usually, you will get wet up to about mid-calf.

Re the camera.............if you have a good case and a strong strap, yes.

My personal fav is Gemini, but Teralani and Trilogy are great too.

Level Contributor
440 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset cruises leaving from the beach

No problem with the camera. Just keep it around your neck. We booked Teralani using a Costco discount and it was wonderful. It is for the dinner cruise, but with the Costco discount you get it for about the same price as the cocktail cruise. Just do a search on Costco.com for teralani to purchase the gift cards or just buy at the Costco store in Kahului.

Bel Air, Maryland
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset cruises leaving from the beach

Not to high jack but are any of these sunset cruises geared more at adults? Not in need of dinner, but drinks, pupu's and the sails up would be awesome. Cat or mono hull wouldnt matter to us.

David (Seven and a wakeup:)

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
703 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset cruises leaving from the beach

David...there is definitely an "adults only" cocktail cruise out of Kihei. I was planning on taking one myself until I saw they want $102 a person. To save $40 per person, I'll put up with a few kids :)

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset cruises leaving from the beach

Aloha,

David, you're coming later this month, right? You won't have many kids on most things...........school's in!

Level Contributor
440 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset cruises leaving from the beach

I don't recall any kids on the Teralani dinner cruise. Your mileage may vary. Also, this is not a sit-down, formal dinner. It's very casual. But the food was good. The emphasis was more on the cocktails and the sailing than the dinner, I felt.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset cruises leaving from the beach

I used to work for a boat company and beach entries vary.

If there is a lot of surf the crew will usually help you time your

entry in between waves.

Footing can vary if the sand shifts.

Is there something you can put your camera in to put your mind at

rest?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset cruises leaving from the beach

Thanks so much for the Costco reference. I googled it and found they are still offering it. I have a question for one of you locals... I am coming in December and would love to do this sunset dinner cruise (a no-brainer with Costco over their other offerings) and was wondering my best scenerio for weather. Although the adults only thing (especially over Christmas) may not be a bad idea. :) I do realize that weather can be all over the place, but wondered if this was a popular thing to do in December... or if it's better to just wait for a nice day and see if we can get reservations. Is it fairly easy to find and reserve one of these types of sailing charters any given day?

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunset cruises leaving from the beach

Aloha,

Glad you found the Costco deal. Re the weather--it is, as you say, totally unknown. Even Nick the Wonder Dog says he doesn't know yet, LOL!

The Kaanapali coast is very moderate weather year round, unless we are in a big storm. The ocean will be fine most of the time too, unless we get a huge north swell with a wrap of more than 285 degrees, or a West swell that gets "past" Lana'i (it acts as a block to much of a west swell).

The boats will cancel if we are in a system or the surf is too high. It's not in their interest to have you sick and/or unhappy.

Make your rezzies for fairly early during your stay, just in case it does cancel and then you have a better chance of re-scheduling. Have fun!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunset cruises leaving from the beach

Thanks so much!