We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hikes in Maui

kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hikes in Maui

I love the beach and ocean but I also like vegetation and rocks. I'm from Kansas. It's flat and barren for the most part. My Ideal of a hike is seeing a variety of nature. A thicket of bamboo, mountain views, ocean views and some climbing is what I hope to find. We are staying at Kaanapali Beach area but are thinking about taking the Road to Hana and might go to Polo Beach area. We probably won't do the volcano.

Several short hike suggestions. Nothing over 5 miles and preferably under two.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hikes in Maui

The Pipiwai trail then is a must.

Maui
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hikes in Maui

If you happen to be here on the third Sunday of the month......check out the Cloud Forest Hike guided by the NFS into the closed area of old growth native Hawaiian forest of koa & ohio trees with a fern underbrush in the clouds of Haleakela. You will never see anything like it anywhere else on earth.

This hike is not well known and is limited to 12 people once a month. Do the math.....only 144 people per year get to see this! Make that 142 because I go a couple of times per year myself. Shhhh! don't tell anyone else though...

Edited: 1:02 am, June 03, 2010
Maui
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hikes in Maui

oh yeah, I forgot to mention...it's free.....

kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hikes in Maui

I'll be there the 2nd Sunday. Where is the Pipiwai trail and how long is it?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,150 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hikes in Maui

Pipiwai Trail starts just upstream from Ohe'o Gulch (past Hana). Same parking lot as Ohe'o Gulch.

hawaiiweb.com/maui/…PipiwaiTrail.htm

For more info, Google: Pipiwai Trail

Location, Location...
Level Contributor
457 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hikes in Maui

Olivine Pools, Iao Valley, and the coffee fields above Kaanapali(probably not legal, though!).

Edited: 7:58 pm, July 19, 2010
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
54,997 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hikes in Maui

Aloha,

Olivine Pools can be very dangerous. I'ao Valley is beautiful. No, the coffee fields are NOT legal public hiking..............cause they are private property.

Go up to Kapalua, and you can hike the old Village golf course trails for free and legally.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Hikes in Maui

I am in Maui now and we did the Waihe'e Ridge hike, Iao Valley, and Pipiwai Trail over the last three days. The Iao Valley was amazing and they have a 1-mile trail there. We did the Waihee Ridge hike and it was very strenuous and it rained the whole time up and we saw nothing but clouds. On a good day, I hear it has grand views. We just completed the Pipiwai Trail today and it was incredible. Lots of stops along the trail to view waterfalls and then you enter a bamboo forest and the end is a 400' waterfall. RTH was great. If I had to do it again I would do RTH all day, stay in Hana, and then do Pipiwai the following morning. Ohe'o Gulch is a fun place to hang after completing the hike.

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Hikes in Maui

We are planning a trip in Feb. We are healthy 65 year olds and enjoy a hike on a trail that is not too strenous or dangerous. Any places you would suggest? Nothing too steep....but something beautiful and easy to get to from the west or south.

Also, we may stop at Kauai. Any good trails for us there? Is the kayaking fairly safe and easy, too?

Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Hikes in Maui

pearl,

If you do get to Kaua'i, you must visit the Maha'ulepu area in Poipu. Amazing lithified cliffs, vistas of mountains and ocean in every direction, and lovely coves. It is a very easy "hike" and I know you'd love it. It is one of my favorite places I have ever been. : )

There is a group called Friends of Maha'ulepu (I think that's the right name ) who have a website, so jump on there for more info.