We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whaler Beautifully Renovated

Seattle area
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Whaler Beautifully Renovated

I am a Whaler owner and have returned for the first time since construction was completed in Summer 2009: The Whaler property looks much more attractive than it has been for several years.

Although some may think my comments below are biased in favor of The Whaler, I am offering my perspective based on thirty plus years of ownership: I frankly admit that I am surprised at how gorgeous the courtyard and swimming pool now look. I have ALWAYS enjoyed every one of my visits to The Whaler, but had not realized how much it “needed work.” (To put it simply, I’ve always been thrilled just to be in Paradise!) I realize that occasional guests are much more likely to be critical, but even they should be impressed with The Whaler’s new look.

The center courtyard has been completely remade, with a new design and different plantings, and a winding walkway paved with light red brick. A new and larger pond, waterfall, and bright yellow flowers and green vegetation abound. A small bridge over the pond provides a viewing point for the new koi fish, which are still pretty small, and leads right to Kaanapali Beach. The open view through the courtyard to the pool, beach, and ocean is very pleasant: The green and yellow courtyard blends beautifully into the blue ocean and islands of Lanai and Molokai beyond.

The swimming pool has several new features, beginning with the stone deck resurfaced in light gray and white tiles. Pool lounge chairs are now of a white mesh fabric and are very comfortable (no more strap lounges!). There are also nine double wide, covered cabanas spread around the pool area, providing welcome shade; these cabanas are provided free to all guests.

Although the pool itself has not changed in size, there is a new Jacuzzi whirlpool which is larger than the previous one. Guests now enjoy complimentary AM coffee at poolside, as well as afternoon lemonade. One other change from previous years is that The Whaler hosts a poolside reception EVERY Wednesday afternoon: All guests and owners are welcome to partake of free pu-pus and mai-tais one afternoon, followed by hotdog lunch the next, and followed on the third Wednesday with an ice cream social. These “mixer” events have proven very popular and are always well attended (including Yours Truly).

The elevators in each Whaler tower are currently undergoing complete renovation, with the installation of all new mechanical equipment, new doors, and mahogany-like wood paneling. All six elevators are expected to complete servicing by December 2009. Similarly, the underground garage has undergone renovation, with peeling concrete having been corrected, the walls and ceiling having been steam cleaned and repainted in a bright white. Work will be completed in another month or so, but the overall garage appearance is already much brighter and more welcoming than before.

The drive-up lobby area is remodeled with new pillars and benches, and final touchup paving is near completion. The lobby interior and front desk area has not changed, but is still attractive. Five barbecues remain available for all guests and owners, complete with tables to enjoy eating your meals outside…alongside the Kaanapali Beachwalk and the ocean beyond. You won’t notice it, but major upgrades have also been to the air conditioning, electrical, and fire suppression systems on property.

Potential guests may also appreciate several other complimentary benefits of staying at The Whaler: Newly added in the past year are a spot to wash your rental car, free printing of airline boarding passes, and a sizeable bookcase to exchange popular books for beach reading.

Just so that you know I haven’t “sugarcoated” anything, there are still further improvements planned for The Whaler. Building exteriors do still need to be repainted to regain the original bright white finish, but a contract for this work has not yet been issued. It is unknown if this work will begin in 2010…or later. Further, a new covered garage may eventually be built (adjacent to existing tennis courts) alongside the drive entering The Whaler; however, this is still several years away from even the drawing stage. Eventually, these projects are expected to take place…and will be disruptive, but this work will make The Whaler even better than it is now.

Of course, since all Whaler condominiums are privately owned, they continue to be upgraded as desired by each owner…and generally most are very attractive and receive room and furnishing improvements and modernization as needed.

Bob Cohen – Whaler Owner

maryland
Level Contributor
174 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whaler Beautifully Renovated

Thanks Bob! You are always very fair handed in your comments regarding the Whaler. We appreciate your update!

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whaler Beautifully Renovated

When we were there in July/August the newly planted Koi (several were over 12") in the fishpond were being lost at a rate of 1-2 a week. I hope that rate has dropped or stopped.

The garage was still having some finishing touches done in August.... have they finished?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,870 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whaler Beautifully Renovated

We noticed how nice the pool looked!

Maryland
Level Contributor
219 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whaler Beautifully Renovated

We JUST got back today from a week long stay at the Whaler *sigh* and I couldn't agree more. This was our first trip to Maui, so I didn't see the pre-renovation state of the property, but DH and I were very pleased with the location, decor, and surroundings. It was lovely yet understated.

The only things that weren't super appealing were the garage and elevators, which Bob already mentioned were still under renovation.

I'd gladly stay there again.

Mount Vernon,Il
Level Contributor
739 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whaler Beautifully Renovated

Mauibob,

I want to thank you as well for your comments and observations on the Whaler. We have been visiting Maui for the last five years and have steered away from the Whaler. I had already decided we were going to stay at the Whaler on our next visit in the sumeer of' 2010. You have helped to reinforce my decision. We have been looking over various properties on this site and VBRO, just haven't made up our minds yet.

Any additional thoughts or words would be greatly appreciated. Aloha!!!

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
47 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whaler Beautifully Renovated

Bob,

THanks for the info. We've stayed at the Whaler quite a few times. Can't beat the location, cost, etc. Plus, it's always pretty quiet. We were there in Sept 2008, during the peak of construction. We can't wait to get back and see it now that's done.

BTW, do you have any photos you can share of the grounds? The ones on the Whaler website are Photoshopped and look completely fake, to be honest. I'd love to see how everything turned out.

Washington
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whaler Beautifully Renovated

Thanks for the update! I wondered how it was going. My sister will be there in February.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Whaler Beautifully Renovated

Pictures taken this month of The Whaler courtyard and swimming pool can be found at:

…photobucket.com/albums/…

I JUST created this account at photobucket and basically just "tossed" 8 pictures there, with captions. Sorry, but I haven't taken the time to organize them better; I still have a lot to learn about posting, labeling, captions, etc.

In response to some recent comments (above):

There are about 10 koi fish in the pond, mostly large ones; there were a few small ones introduced recently.

The garage steamcleaning and painting of the roof continues...and is expected to finish in about 2 weeks. However, other less obstructive and less messy work is expected to continue, such as re-striping some parking spaces, marking water main lines, etc. It is expected that this work will finish by December.

Mount Vernon,Il
Level Contributor
739 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Whaler Beautifully Renovated

Mauibob,

I appreciate the pictures. They are much better than the "stock" photos you get from the website. You info has been been very helpful.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
450 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whaler Beautifully Renovated

Are you renting your Condo? Do you know anybody who does?

I'm looking for a nice ocean view studio to rent. (The best deals.)

Thanks.