We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need itinerary help selecting wineries to visit

Ohio
Level Contributor
210 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
need itinerary help selecting wineries to visit

We have 2 days in Napa Valley with a car - a Monday and a Tuesday, in February. Im trying to make a varied itinerary and keep in mind some nice scenery. I know I want to go to Schramberg for cave tour and sparkling wine, and also Jarvis. Im looking for one good "educational" tour +/- tasting place (?Mondavi?), and then maybe someplace smaller and someplace bigger. I was thinking of Chateau Montelena somewhere in this list. Personally I like most wines, but am a bit more of a fan of whites - so were open there. Ive read alot on trip advisor, but its difficult to make choices. Can you help? Thank you.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
23,600 posts
5,364 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need itinerary help selecting wineries to visit

Like your list so far

Since you are more of a white wine lover (and it looks like you also like the bubbly)

Domaine Chandon

www.chandon.com

and also

Mumm

http://www.mummnapa.com/

Yes, so many great wineries so little time, but given your interest take a look at these 2 also to see if interested.

Ohio
Level Contributor
210 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need itinerary help selecting wineries to visit

Thank you. I was hoping to hear from you as Ive read many of your postings and found them helpful.

Is Mumm more of a white wine winery?

And what do you think of an educational type tour, maybe in a beautiful place - Ive heard about Hendry's, Mondavi, and just now am reading about places like Quintessa or Opus One or Hess. Should these be on my list - remember I like to vary the experience.

Lastly, Ive read a bit about the Silverado Trail, and that sounds nice. Am I headed in the right direction?

Sorry if this is lots of questions. I very much appreciate the help.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,362 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need itinerary help selecting wineries to visit

neverstop - you have two threads going here. You have gotten a couple of responses on your other one so maybe delete this one and concentrate on the other.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,313 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need itinerary help selecting wineries to visit

Mondavi tour one of the best we have done and did it during our 1st Napa trip back in 1998. Daughter has a friend who now works for Mondavi in their corporate area and has recently done the tour again saying it remains one of the best :-)

If you are looking for something really fun and out of the ordinary, get in touch with Frias Family Vineyard...no tour but tasting led by one of the Frias family members. Friendly, so entertaining, lots of different wines. We discovered this special experience via a recommendation on Yelp, made appointment to visit with 2 other couples with whom we were traveling. Manny Frias said to bring along a picnic lunch to enjoy which we did. This was our favorite Napa experience ever!

Ohio
Level Contributor
210 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need itinerary help selecting wineries to visit

Thank you I looked them up a bit and they sound great. I had been searching for a smaller winery - not a big name...and I was having trouble finding it. ;Now I think I have it. I will have to rework itinerary and work this in. It sounds lovely. Thank you,

Ohio
Level Contributor
210 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need itinerary help selecting wineries to visit

The idea of a picnic at Frias sounds great, but it will require something to be eliminated in order to do this.

Supercilious, I'd like to know your feelings about Frias.

To add this would require eliminating either Quintessa or Schramsberg. If you think Frias is good to add, which of the 2 above would you eliminate?

(just to make a good choice, please know that the itinerary so far seems to be:

Day 1- Hess(tour, taste, &museum), Jarvis,(tour & taste) and if possible Frogs Leap for tasting and self-tour.( Have to do Frogs Leap this day bec it is closed the next day.)

Day 2- Chateau Montelena Estate tour ( gardens, history, tasting), Schramsberg, light lunch, Quintessa.

In addition to specifically addressing question of adding Frias, if you have any other thoughts about this itinerary - I'd like to hear them.

Thankyou.

7. Re: need itinerary help selecting wineries to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Napa Valley