We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine Train All Day Tour

New York
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
Wine Train All Day Tour

Hi All,

My husband and I are planning to take an all day tour on the Wine Train. We were wondering if any of you have tried this. If so, which do you think might be the best tour with the most interesting wineries to visit. This would be in September BTW in case that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

The Estate Tour

Inglenook

HALL St. Helena

Domaine Chandon

The Legacy Tour

Robert Mondavi Winery

Charles Krug Winery

V. Sattui Winery

The Collective Tour

St. Supery

Beringer

Raymond Vineyards

18 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
1. Re: Wine Train All Day Tour

Yikes, looking at this list would be a no go for me, most of these places are very crowded, touristy, and corporate. I could handle one of these wineries, but would not want to stop at any of these 3 as my only places for the day. If I absolutely had to choose one, it would be Inglenook, Hall, Chandon. Inglenook for the history and good wine, Chandon for sparkling, and Hall for the funky art and nice outside setting. I definitely would skip mondavi, Krug, and V.Sattui, talk about tourist traps. If I were you maybe just consider taking the train for dinner and doing a wine tasting day of places you want to choose.

New York
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Wine Train All Day Tour

Hi jnapawineguy, thanks for your response. We are most interested in the train ride but perhaps 6 hours is a bit much. We looked at a 1/2 day tour on the older train we prefer. That one tours the Grgich Hills Winery. What are your thoughts on that winery?

Napa, California
Level Contributor
661 posts
71 reviews
14 helpful votes
3. Re: Wine Train All Day Tour

I've done the Estate Tour myself and I really enjoyed it. The wine train guests get their own experience at each winery, so it's a curated experience. We even got some nice chef's bites at a couple of the places. It's a leisurely, delightful day.

Fond du Lac...
Level Contributor
14,844 posts
207 reviews
390 helpful votes
4. Re: Wine Train All Day Tour

We just did the Legacy tour last Sept and took my in-laws (70 yr olds, home wine makers) along. I know it's overpriced, but we had a wonderful day! It was fun to be on a train (and we all could enjoy the wine this day), and very relaxing. The wineries were all informative and fun. We felt we learned a lot. Food on the train was quite good as well. Our staff working on the train were great, and followed us to the wineries. We are glad we did it and recommend it, however given the price, it's a one time thing for us.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
661 posts
71 reviews
14 helpful votes
5. Re: Wine Train All Day Tour

I totally understand the sticker shock when coming to the Napa Valley. And I would like to put the Wine Train winery tour experience in perspective regarding the price.

If you priced out a car/driver, the tasting/tour fees for the wineries, a lunch and gratuities, the Legacy Tour for example - would cost you near $1000 for two.

So surprisingly, you are actually saving money by taking the wine train. I know it's a lot. But it's not MORE expensive to ride the wine train and do this day, it's actually a little less. :)

Fond du Lac...
Level Contributor
14,844 posts
207 reviews
390 helpful votes
6. Re: Wine Train All Day Tour

MrsNapaValley - this is exactly what we thought. So many were telling me to just do it on your own. Sure, but then my hubby would be the designated driver (again), but instead he could also enjoy the wine that day. We figured hiring a driver would have been much more. Plus, it's fun riding on a train!

New York
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Wine Train All Day Tour

Thanks for your input. Very interesting. I'm glad to hear some of you liked it. I'm torn between the 1/2 day and the full day tours. Since we will be driving ourselves on other winery tours have to keep the tastings to a minimum. If we spend the day on the train we wouldn't have to worry about that.It's hard to pick which one. It isn't really all about the quality of the wine for us. We are interested in the building, the grounds, and the overall ambiance of each winery.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
35,500 posts
6,486 reviews
3,378 helpful votes
8. Re: Wine Train All Day Tour

The Napa Wine Train parallels Highway 29. This is one of the two major winery road in Napa Valley.

The other one will be Silverado Trail.

You will be able to see several of these easily when you drive such as V. Sattui.

I would probably choose the Estate Tour. the reasons being

1) Inglenook - is sort of hidden from road. Good plave to visit and you won't see this one from the road unless you do a specific visitt. Since the wine train does it. that is why I am suggesting.

2) Hall - the Giant Metal Rabbit is visible from Highway 29. the winery itself is one you don't just drop in and see it. Its good to do on the train trip (or other tour.).

3) Domaine Chandon - You can drive in and see this winery - not directly on highway 29. The tasting room is oK, but if they are doing a tour or something as part of the train tip, Domaine Chandon would be a nice one to visit

As such these are more difficult just to drop by and see while in Napa.

I am no sure what wines you like (bublby to red), but the other wineries on the list are farily easy to drive in, park, and see on your own. You can drop in and taste. V. Sattui is a very popoular winery - deli- picnic grounds. (sometimes hard to find parking, but worth time just enjoying on your wn). Raymond easy to find parking and doing the self paced walk through the gareden area is more fun on your own than with a group of fellow wine train passengers.

As such, if you like the three wineries on the Estate Tour, you will get a nice ride through Napa Valley as well as visits to three wineries which are good to visit and takes some work to visit on your own.

So many great wineries in Napa - so little time.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
661 posts
71 reviews
14 helpful votes
9. Re: Wine Train All Day Tour

Oh I love trains! I hesitate to tell you how many times I've gone on the Wine Train - from meals to special events to wineries. lol

For building and grounds, I'm really partial to The Estate Tour. But the good news is, I'm not sure you can really go wrong!

The half day tours involve a motor coach - I've done that too and it's a nice coach. But if you wanted to be all about the train, you'd need to do the full day OR...

Just do lunch on the train!

New York
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
10. Re: Wine Train All Day Tour

Thanks for all the great advice mini and MrsNapaValley! I saw that one of the half day tours used a coach. We’re not really interested in that it’s more about the train ride. As a matter of fact my husband likes trains and the wine train is what instigated the whole trip. He already bought the model version of it. So I think we’re going to go for the full day. We’re leaning toward the Estate Tour. In addition, as previously mentioned, my husband also winds up always being the designated driver. This way he can enjoy the tastings also. Thanks again for all your help.

Reply to: Wine Train All Day Tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted