Hi: So grateful for any advice. My husband, 13-year old son and I are moving abroad permanently (from California), mostly just as a happy adventure and to get more time to connect, slow down and be. Have narrowed it down to Culebra or Vieques (lower on list TCI or BVI). Would be hugely grateful for advice from any expats that are living in either place (or have lived in TCI or BVI and could give contrast):
• Which one is better to live on permanently, V or C, and why? We realize that Culebra doesn't have much to do (downside) and have heard that Vieques could be a party-town (how much and would alcohol be more available to a teen here than in the States?)
- Quality of Schools on the islands
• Attitude toward Americans: Friendly? (mostly concerned for our 13 year old son)
• Safety if had cottage on the beach
• Beachfront rentals, right smack on beach – affordable? Available?
- Cottage/Home purchase price and – is there such a thing as a breezy little beachfront cottage that can be purchased still, or are they mega-mansions?
• Alcoholism, drugs etc.
• Is the ferry between Culebra and Vieques expected to happen?
• What side of street do cars drive on? Can keep car?
- Can we bring the family dog (fully vaccinated, etc.)
Super Grateful, thanks!