We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in Culebra

Which Culebra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta Metro
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling in Culebra

I am considering taking one of our days of vacation in San Juan and flying to Culebra for a day and returning the same day. But I am not sure if we'd (my girlfriend) would actually just want to lie out on the sand the whole time.

So I am thinking that snorkeling might be an option. The problem is, I know how to swim but my girlfriend does not. She said she would like be willing to try if she had on a life vest.

I am wondering if this is feasible and advisable. I am thinking that you do not need to go far off of shore to snorkel and the places that are good should not have a strong under tow or high waves.

Also, does anyone know if the places on Culebra that rent snorkeling equipment also have life vest available?

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.

NC
Level Contributor
164 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling in Culebra

Snorkeling off the beach in Culebra is totally do-able and very easy. Just catch a taxi of some sort over to Flamenco Beach. Rent snorkel equipment there ($12), and do the 20ish minute hike over the hill (not a bad hike) to Carlos Rosario beach - the snorkel equipment rental guy can point you in the right direction for the path. Just did it last week - terrific. Not sure if the guy has life vests to rent, but probably does. I wish I'd thought to ask cuz I'm not a strong swimmer (I am good at dog paddling lol) and was too nervous to go very far out. Honestly, it's not really swimming once you get those fins on (put them on in the water!) - you just float around and kick occasionally or move your arms a bit. It is very very easy. Anyway, I had a great time just hanging out in the shallow bits, but you two probably wouldn't want to separate. Maybe look into getting an inflatable vest before you go and take that along with you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling in Culebra

you are going to love CULEBRA ! there is only one dive shop there called culebra divers. you need to contact them before you get there if you plan on renting gear (we always bring our own) as things there are hit or miss as far as what is open ! there is great off shore snorkeling at MALONES BEACH, AND AT CARLOS ROSARIO BEACH this a good 20 min hike from FLAMENCO BEACH . for more info on CULEBRA visit

www.islaculebra.com

you can get dive shop info here

good luck,

doda

Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling in Culebra

Atl Rod,

I agree with the last post, go to the dive shop and they will set you up.

Keep in mind, if the weather is rough (which it sometimes can get over at Flamenco and other beaches on the northern side of the island), you may not want to have your girlfriend get in (life vest or not). Use good common sense judgement on that.

We were there and a few days it was calm and wonderful, and on other days a storm system brought some huge/rough surf.

The interesting thing was that during those rough surf days on the north side of the island we had great snorkelling over at Malones (which was in the lee of the weather). The dive shop will direct you as to where you should go that day, so check them out.

Good luck,

enjoy,

Peter

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling in Culebra

instead of flying to CULEBRA . you could also think about doing the CULEBRA SNORELING TRIP WITH EAST ISLAND EXCURSIONS. they will take you to 2 different spots in CULEBRA to snorkel ,they will let you have use of snorkeling gear also providing lunch and rum drinks. they leave out of FAJARDO in the morning and you'll return late afternoon ! just something to consider 1for more info visit

www.eastwindcats.com

good luck,

doda

Atlanta Metro
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling in Culebra

Thank you all for your input.

Doda, thank you very much for recommending the East Wind Catamaran as an alternative to flying. I am thinking that it might be much more convenient than trying to fly to Culebra, renting a jeep, renting snorkeling equipment, and making sure you get back to Dewey on time to catch the flight back.

This will allow for us to do snorkeling, visit Playa Flamenco and also stop in Dewey for a little bit.

Has anyone taken the East Wind excursion to Culebra before?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling in Culebra

altrod.....we have taken both the $60.00 reg snorkeling tour and and the culebra trip that cost $80.00 i highly recommend EIE especially for a 1st trip to culebra. they took us to snorkel at one of the little islands off of culebra (luis Pena) the snorkeling here was awesome, then to took us by van thru Dewey to flamenco beach where we swam , snorkeled,ect ,and had lunch. WE GOT TO SEE THE 'BEST OF CULEBRA" WITH WASTING ANY TIME !

www.eastwindexcursions.com

happy and safe travels,

doda

Level Contributor
1,109 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling in Culebra

atlrod...Just want to let you know that you don't actually dock anywhere with East Island. At the nature reserve you are off shore and same at Flamenco beach however it is an easy swim to both shores. These are really the highlights of Culebra and East island is the most convenient way of doing it especially for a quick day trip to snorkel and enjoy the water. Schedule this in the begining of your trip that way if for some reason there is bad weather you will still have some days left to reschedule.

8. Re: Snorkeling in Culebra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, August 16, 2009