We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Culebra, Puerto Rico Day Trip from San Juan!

Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
48 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Culebra, Puerto Rico Day Trip from San Juan!

Hello!

My boyfriend and I are going to San Juan for a week at the end of this month. We really want to do a day trip to Culebra from San Juan and we are trying to figure out the best way to do this. Planes are out of the question. We've seen several catamaran and ferry options. Would you recommend that we use a rental car to get to this tropical spot (Meaning the pick up location for the boat)? Or should we have a company pick us up and take us there.

Also, is Flamenco Beach as gorgeous as everyone says? Pictures look incredible.

Thanks for all of your help! :-D (Any other Puerto Rico advice is welcome as well!)

Maumee, Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Culebra, Puerto Rico Day Trip from San Juan!

I'm just responding because we'll be there next week and I'm hoping someone gives you a great response I can use too ;) I'd love to visit Culebra but there's no way my husband will get on a small plane.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,288 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Culebra, Puerto Rico Day Trip from San Juan!

Cab fare is going to be about $80 to get to the ferry. Much cheaper to use a rental car and drive yourself. A thought for you. Check out he Eaist Island excursion snorkelling trip to Culebra. They take you over on a fast cat, you spend the day snorkeling and partying. They will make a stop at Flamenco beach. They do transportation from San Juan Hotels. Not a bad way to go.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,778 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Culebra, Puerto Rico Day Trip from San Juan!

If you go on a weekday you should be able to take the ferry. Rent a car, go early, park by the ferry and enjoy the day at your own pace.

Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
48 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Culebra, Puerto Rico Day Trip from San Juan!

Sounds great! I will check out the Catamaran company. We are looking at renting a car, so that may be an option as well. Is it easy to do a round trip day on the ferry?

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,778 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Culebra, Puerto Rico Day Trip from San Juan!

That's the way locals do it, no planes, no catamaran. Now, the ferry is crowded on weekends and summer and can sold out, so it is recommended you fly or do an excursion to make sure you will get there. But if you go there on a weekday and take the early ferry out you should be fine.

Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
48 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Culebra, Puerto Rico Day Trip from San Juan!

We are headed there during the week, so it shouldn't be a problem. I will definitely consider the ferry as an option, too! Any restaurants or bars on Culebra you can recommend? We really want to hang out on Flamenco Beach. Thanks!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Culebra, Puerto Rico Day Trip from San Juan!

Just have a back-up plan. I hear too many sad stories of the ferry selling out very quickly, even during the week. The ferry to Vieques is at 9:30am and is not usually full. You can go there to Sun Bay easily for a day trip if the Culebra ferry sells out.

Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
48 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Culebra, Puerto Rico Day Trip from San Juan!

Thanks so much! I see it says El Yunque under your name. We are planning on going there as well! I've heard it is very easy to do a self guided tour there. Any tips? If you want to send me a private message as well, I would love that. I'm so excited for this trip. Puerto Rico is going to be so much better than any all inclusive I've ever done in the Caribbean. It seems like there are so many incredible things to see and do there.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,288 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Culebra, Puerto Rico Day Trip from San Juan!

El Yunque is a National Forest. Lots of info online, including trail maps. One road up, a visitors center and hiking trails.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Culebra, Puerto Rico Day Trip from San Juan!

"That's the way locals do it, no planes, no catamaran." that's true. but locals speak spanish. and that makes a HUGE difference. they also know the routine and they know the way to get on the boat before a tourist. So i think it is a bit misleading to make it seem like a tourist can do what the locals do.

You probably only want a day trip because you already have a hotel. But forget the expense and go for at least one night. it's worth it. Its also worth it to rent a car and park at the ferry.

Flamenco is considered one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and deservedly so. Though i prefer Zoni and blue and navio on Vieques. It is worht the day trip or overnight trip. It's unfortunate that flying is out of the question. Its just a 10 minute flight from Ceiba.