We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach camping early March...3 questions

NYC
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Beach camping early March...3 questions

Hi all-

My boyfriend and I are visiting Culebra March 9-13 and are interested in camping on Playa Flamenco. I've visited Culebra before but I've never done the camping thing there. I have a few questions about it.

1) Bugs! I know March isn't crazy mosquito time on Culebra but does anyone have a sense as to how bad the bugs are on the beach at dusk or in general? Are there sand fleas? (Keep in mind I'm that gringa that attracts bugs like crazy so I want to be appropriately prepared...)

2) Reservations. I see that I can call or write a letter to reserve a spot, but is it necessary in early March? Is it safe to just show up?

3) Transportation. We're thinking of renting a scooter for a day or two. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Good places to rent from? WIll a scooter be ok for two people to explore the island or do we need a jeep?

Thanks so much!

Claire

Keosauqua, Iowa
Level Contributor
78 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach camping early March...3 questions

Claire,

1- I just got back from Culebra Feb. 1st. The Sand Fleas, No Seeums, and Mosquitoes really got me at dusk and dawn the first week I was there, because I refused to wear shoes, socks, long pants and shirt. Once I started wearing "long clothes" I didn't get bit at all. Before putting on all the clothes, I tried just using bug spray with "deet" but it didn't help. Scratching all night in my tent was miserable.

2-I've been to Culebra in March and did not need to have a reservation. I think you will be safe just showing up.

3-I've rented a Skooter to get around on, and it worked just great. Plus, great gas milage. I think Carlos Jeep has scooters at $45 per day.

Thanks,

Dave

Keosauqua, Iowa
Level Contributor
78 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach camping early March...3 questions

Claire,

I tried to make some corrections to the prior reply but could add to it, so here it is:

* When I camped at Playa Flamenco in March, I did not have problems with biting bugs. As I understand it, how bad the mosquitoes and other biting bugs are, depends directly on how much rain the island has been getting. Wet weather brings the bugs. Since March is historically one of the dryer months on Culebra, there tend to be fewer bugs in March.

1- I just got back from Culebra Feb. 1st. The Sand Fleas, No Seeums, and Mosquitoes really got me at dusk and dawn the first week I was there, because I refused to wear shoes, socks, long pants and shirt. (no shirt, no shoes, no problem is my motto, ha) However, once I started wearing "long clothes" from dusk to dawn I didn't get bit at all. Before putting on all the clothes, I tried just using bug spray with "deet" but it didn't help. Scratching all night in my tent was miserable.

2-I've been to Culebra in March and did not need to have a reservation. I've camped on Flamenco many times and have never needed a reservation. I've even camped there during "Semana Santa" / Easter, one of the busiest weeks of the year and there were still open camp sites. I think you will be safe just showing up.

3-I've rented a Skooter to get around on, and it worked just great. Plus, alot of fun and great gas milage. I think Carlos Jeep has scooters at $45 per day. I think Carlos will give you a discount if you rent for five or more days.

Thanks,

Dave

3. Re: Beach camping early March...3 questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 13, 2014