We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping culebra

Nashville, Tennessee
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
camping culebra

We are a family of four with 2 daughters and would like to camp 2-3 nights on culebra. do we need to bring our own tent? or can you rent supplies? also, where are the grounds located on the island exactly?

thank you!!

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: camping culebra

There are campsites available at Flamenco Beach, for a nominal nightly fee. You can rent equipment at one of the kiosks at Flamenco.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
415 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: camping culebra

We have camped on Flamenco and loved it. The campsites are right on Flamenco and you are allowed to pitch a tent just about anywhere in the designated areas. There are "sections" A, B, C, D and E. I don't believe you can rent a tent (we took our own), but you can rent just about everything else. Call Franklin at Tent City...his number is 787-226-0232. He is in kiosk #4 at Flamenco. We rented an air mattress from him but he has all kinds of camping stuff to rent. I'd call him and see if he has or can get what you need. He is a total sweetheart. Make sure you bring your own TP. The bathrooms on Flamenco near the camping sites do not furnish the TP. Also, be aware the showers are outdoors. It is literally 5 shower heads coming out of a cement wall on a slatted wooden deck area. No curtains. So if modesty is important, shower in the dark! Have fun!!

Taylor, Arizona
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: camping culebra

My wife and I will spend 5 days there this coming Feb. The showers where one of my concerns. I like to have all the parts clean, how does that work?

Keosauqua, Iowa
Level Contributor
78 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: camping culebra

There are fresh water showers at Flamenco campground. These showers are not heated, nor are they private. They are open-air public showers. Flamenco is family oriented with lots of kids around. That said, most people shower discretely, wearing swim suits during day hours. Showering at night, or early morning allows one to wear less, but it is definitely a cold shower, no pun intended, ha, ha.

Keosauqua, Iowa
Level Contributor
78 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: camping culebra

You may also want to take with you a two-three gallon, solar, water heating bag. Just hang it from a tree in the sun light during the day. It will heat the water and then you can take a warm shower in camp (where you have more privacy) during the evening.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,040 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: camping culebra

@ Dave, you made me smile. You really like your warm showers!!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: camping culebra

The campground is government-run, you will find the office at the entrance of the campground where you must go and register. You will be assigned an area to pitch your tent. This rule was established recently to make it easier for the camp guards to patrol the area. You will find that camping in Flamenco Beach is very safe.

For reservations contact: Autoridad de Conservación y Desarrollo de Culebra, Attn: Playa Flamenco, Apartado 217, Culebra, PR 00775. Or call the Flamenco Campground Office at 787-742-0700 or the Culebra Conservation and Development Authority at 787-742-3880. Usually it is not necessary to make a reservation, except during the summer and during holy week when the island is very busy.

The daily rate to pitch your own tent is $20 - 6 persons maximum. There are outdoor showers with fresh water in operation from 4:00pm to 7:00pm and bathrooms open all the time.

There is a small road that runs along the beach, for pedestrian and park vehicles only. Along this road there are several fresh water tanks.

Cooking on the campground is rather simple. Open fires are not permitted, you may only use one of the many BBQ pits fit for charcoal or you may bring your own gas stove.

The temperature does not fluctuate outside the 60-90 degrees range. The island is rather dry with no clearly defined rainy season. If you do get unlucky though, you might catch the yearly occasion of 2-3 days of continuous rain...

www.islaculebra.com/puerto-rico/camping.html

Taylor, Arizona
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: camping culebra

Thanks, that what I needed to know. I have showered with a suit, but bringing the right suit that is loose really helps, especially for my wife. I was not sure if they showered like they do in France or weather this was a family area. I like the idea of a solar shower. I heard the showers only are on in the evening and I like a morning shower as well. I also love hot water. Thanks again

Keosauqua, Iowa
Level Contributor
78 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: camping culebra

;o) Ha, Bunny. Yup a warm shower can be amazing!!!! Last year, I borrowed my camp neighbor's solar shower. I was impressed ;0)....think the neighbor's were a bit startled though. Just kidding, I had permission ;o)

Edited: 1:13 pm, December 19, 2012
Taylor, Arizona
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: camping culebra

We will be there in Feb., will a fleece throw blanket bed roll be warm enough at night? And can you paddle out to Culebrita or do you need a water taxi? If a water taxi who do you recommend?