We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Culebra ferry really that bad?

Colorado
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Culebra ferry really that bad?

I have seen some posts that imply the ferry from Fajardo to Culebra is a pain. I am looking to save some money and am a bit anxious to fly......

How often are there problems with the ferry?

What types of problems have people encountered?

Is the ferry from Fajardo to Vieques any better?

Thanks!

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

I took the ferry this past Sunday (Jan 12) and the 9am left Fajardo on time and the return left Culebra at 5pm (as expected). The expected travel time was about an hour - but heading east was rougher and took a little longer (some people got sick). Heading back to Fajardo was easy and comfortable.

Philadelphia...
1 post
Save Reply
62. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

does the plane takes off from luis muños marin airport to culebra??

Rock Hill, South...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

I was in Puerto Rico with my family the weekend of May 27-28th this year. The Ferry Ticket process is extremely fractured to say the least! It is VERY difficult to get tickets. We arrived@ the Fajardo Ferry @ 5 a.m. on Friday morning. We were very close to the front of the line (25 people ahead of us). The sales window did not open on time, in fact close to an hour late.. When the line began to move, it would slow down again for 15 mins, no idea or communication as to why. When we were third in line to buy tickets, the agent announced that only 2 more tickets were available! Only two tickets left? How is that possible? There is an advanced ticket process (culebraferry.com) which we tried to buy tickets 4 weeks in advance and were unable to.. "sold out" Residents & family of residents seem to have priority to ticket purchases, so that keeps tourists with limited options.. We had hotel & a jeep confirmed & paid for, so we literally had no choice but to purchase tickets for the 3pm ferry, we had to wait in the terminal the entire time because leaving could cause a risk to not getting on, even though we had tickets. I suggest flying over from Ceiba or San Juan. We arrived Culebra @ 4 p.m. and were able to enjoy the beach until dark, but again the FERRY SYSTEM is a BIG Fail! There needs to be Ferry JUST for Tourists, more ferries departing to and from Culebra & Vieques.

Ottertail, Minnesota
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
64. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

How do i find the website to reserve tickets and transport my car? Also, How do I find Costa Bonita Villas?

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,976 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

There are no advance tickets.

You cannot take a rental car in the ferry.

Ottertail, Minnesota
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
66. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

See this webpage,

culebra-beach-vacations.com/culebra-ferry.ht…

There is also a website that seems to be pitching some type of advance ticket purchase, it just looks really questionable.

http://www.culebraferry.com/

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,976 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

The government claims they have 50 advance tickets that you can reserve by phone or email. However, it is nect to impossible to secure them. So for all practical purposes, there are no advance tickets.

The website listed charges a premium, and again, how do they get the tickets?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,837 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

There ARE some advanced tickets and it IS possible to get advanced tickets by calling or going in person (or using that website). Our guests have done it by going in person and I called the ticket number to see if it was possible and I was able to get through and could have bought tickets.

For people where flying is not an option, the ferry may just work out for you. Especially if you are not set on going on the 9am. That ferry is really the only one that is in big demand everyday.

Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

We just got back from PR and stayed in the Rio Grande area. I'd read so many conflicting reviews on the ferry, so we decided to fly from Ceiba (east of Fajardo) to Culebra. (Ceiba was closer to us than San Juan). It was $88 round trip per person. It was a 15 minute flight vs 1.5 hrs on a boat. That's 3 hrs round trip out of my day, so I figured my time was worth something, too. It was quite windy the week we were in PR. I talked to a few other people who had taken the ferry (on different days) and said we were smart to fly. It was quite rough and many people were getting sick on the ferry.

I'm glad to have avoided that.

Culebra/Flamenco beach is beautiful and worth the trek! I'd personally choose to fly. Some things are money well spent.

Goderich, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

My family will be travelling to Puerto Rico for March Break and we are hoping to spend a day on Culebra. Do you think we will have a chance to get tickets? What time do you need to line up for tickets to get on the morning trip? We would need 3 tickets.