We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo female traveler seeks advice about Culebra

Which Culebra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
solo female traveler seeks advice about Culebra

I'm 40+ and planning a week in the Caribbean, solo. I've been to alot of carribean islands, vieques and grand cayman were solo trips. I don't need nightlife, but local culture, a friendly bar, sand, sun, good food and safety are key. I don't want to be anywhere that is all couples or all families with children

Is Culebra a good option? I'd like to be within a leisurely stroll of the beach and a casual bar / restaurant. Should I stay at Mamacitas? any other suggestions? a room in a guest house / inn or small apt?

I'm very flexible re: travel dates. Any time I should plan for or avoid? Thanks!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
317 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: solo female traveler seeks advice about Culebra

Perfect solo vacation spot, it's got what you're seeking. Sorry I can't personally recc a hotel there but see what others are saying here on TA.

Enjoy!

Culebra
Level Contributor
223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: solo female traveler seeks advice about Culebra

Good morning,

Culebra is similar to Vieques except smaller (one town, instead of two) & thus a bit less spread out.

We have had many single, female guests & all have felt safe moving about the island.

The Trip Advisor section for accommodation has recently combined the "hotels" & "B & B (which are actually Guesthouses on Culebra) " sections, so if you scroll down the Guesthouses are about 1/2 way down the page.

The time period between Christmas/New Years/Three Kings Days is busy, however this is a relative term. You can still find your own quiet piece of beach, however accommodations will fill quickly. Culebra really only has two "slow" months (Sept/Oct) where many restaurants close as well.

Happy traveling!

Terrie

Palmetto Guesthouse, Culebra

Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: solo female traveler seeks advice about Culebra

Thank you very much for the information! And kudos to you for all the great reviews of Palmetto Guest House!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: solo female traveler seeks advice about Culebra

There are also some guest houses listed on the Vacation Rentals section on the above left.

Culebra
Level Contributor
223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: solo female traveler seeks advice about Culebra

Good afternoon,

The "guesthouse(s)" listed under "vacation rentals" are not guesthouses, but vacation rentals. They are not a business & thus generally don't operate with a local business license, don't pay PR room tax, etc.

Best,

Terrie

Palmetto GH, Culebra

Ottawa, Illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: solo female traveler seeks advice about Culebra

Hi,

I stayed at the Palmetto with my partner 3 nights last February and we really enjoyed it. It's clean and quiet. The room was small but who cares. There is a shared kitchen area and a living room were you could socialize with other guests or just watch a movie from their collection. Terrie and Mark are great hosts. And they serve great coffee in the morning. There were different types of guests while we were there: a father and his son, friends trvavelling together etc... so it's not solely for couples or family.

You were asking about Mamacittas. We ate there and really liked it but based on the reviews I would not stay there.

Neither of the Palmetto or Mamacittas are on the beach. Mamacittas is in town, while the Palmettos is in a neighborood (more quiet area). The Palmettos is 15 minutes leisury walk (maybe 20 if you take it really slow) to town and it is safe to walk at night.

I can not recommend any place to stay on the beach. Personnally when I go back to culebra, I will stay at the Palmettos again. If you are looking for something that is more central (i.e., directely in town) I would try Posada la Hamaca before going Mamacitas. It's just beside it. I never stay there thought.

Barbarosa is the closest reataurant to Palmettos and its very good as well. Not fancy but great homemade meal at an affordable price.

Beaches: Go to flamenco for sure but also Zoni.

Enjoy this beautiful island.

Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: solo female traveler seeks advice about Culebra

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this reply with such useful information. can't wait!

Baton Rouge, La.
Level Contributor
150 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: solo female traveler seeks advice about Culebra

"The "guesthouse(s)" listed under "vacation rentals" are not guesthouses, but vacation rentals. They are not a business & thus generally don't operate with a local business license, don't pay PR room tax, etc.

Best, Terrie"

Are you implying that's a bad thing, for the customer? Other than not being a "guesthouse," what does it matter to the OP?

Folly Beach, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: solo female traveler seeks advice about Culebra

... went for the day last year this time and liked it so much we stayed over for 2 nights. the Villa Boheme - http://www.villaboheme.com/ - was a cool find for us; on the bay, laid back & relatively cheap. walking distance to Mamacitas, etc.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
877 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: solo female traveler seeks advice about Culebra

[Madwand wrote:

Are you implying that's a bad thing, for the customer? Other than not being a "guesthouse," what does it matter to the OP?]

Yes, is a bad thing! One example would be; what happens if the previous occupant decides to stay longer at the last minute, maybe because of an emergency or whatever reason that may be? I doubt very much you can force someone to leave but the point is now you have someone that was suppose to be booked out of luck. What options are there? With legitimate hotels or bed & breakfast there are options. I'm a traveler and I won't take such naive risk especially if you are not famililar with the location. It's better to be safe than sorry.

If the place is not paying taxes they are not supporting law enforment which keeps us safe.

Edited: 2:15 pm, December 09, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Culebra