We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need help.........Fly or ferry?????

Kansas City
Level Contributor
138 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
I need help.........Fly or ferry?????

Hi there, My boyfriend are heading to Culebra in less than a month and still can't decide if we want to fly in, or take the ferry. We will have a lot of luggage, which is causing the major toss up. By the time we pay all of he extra luggage fees for the flight it becomes pretty pricey. If we charter a flight it is $250, each way, and then the ferry is the cheapest, yet longest route. We are sure hat chartering a flight would be ideal, yet just wondering if it is worth $500???? Any feed back will be appreciated. Thanks so much !!!!!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,258 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need help.........Fly or ferry?????

You're the only one that can anwser that. Personally 25lbs a piece is fine. You don't need much at all on Culebra. Are you stay ing for a couple months? For the cost it may be worth prchasing what you need there.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
138 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need help.........Fly or ferry?????

Well actually we are traveling for a few weeks, and that is why we have all the luggage. I know we don't need much on the island however, we have to carry our luggage for the entire trip. Thanks for the reply

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I need help.........Fly or ferry?????

too bad you cant store it anywhere or send it ahead.

go with the ferry if you can move all your luggage easily by yourselves.

without it falling over and being a nuisance.

if thats not likely, pay the cost and fly. but not a charter.

do you actually have that much stuff that you would be forced to charter a plane?

thats kind of crazy

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,258 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need help.........Fly or ferry?????

Keep in mind that the Big island of PR is very much US as far as stores go. Walmart, Kmart, Sams Club, Walgreens, Shopping malls, Upscale Outlets etc. You can get anything you need. It might be easier just to get what you need in PR. Culebra is a different story. Not as much as the big island.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
138 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I need help.........Fly or ferry?????

We would have to charter because the last flight is fully booked, so there is no other flight option, and we are unable to catch an earlier one. We have called ahead trying to find places to hold luggage in PR, yet no luck so far! I am just wondering if it is worth $500, for the view and ease. It seems like a lot of money for such a short flight, but maybe it is worth it? Since we have never made the trip we are not sure how draining the ferry trip really is. Thanks for the replies.

dallas tx
Level Contributor
190 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I need help.........Fly or ferry?????

Fly

Wyckoff, NJ
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I need help.........Fly or ferry?????

An air charter from SJU to CPX is more like $500 each way...not too cost effective for only two people. I used www.airamericacaribbean.com in 2007 with very good experience, but filled every seat on the plane with my family. Culebra is very quiet (no nightlife) so to bring a bunch of extra clothes (what you may normally bring for dinner/evening wear) will not get much use there. The ferry just takes too long, so maybe pack a little lighter and try Air Flamenco from Isla Grande airport in San Juan. It's about a 15 minute cab ride (flat fee) to get between SJU and Isla Grande airport - pretty easy.

8. Re: I need help.........Fly or ferry?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 18, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Culebra