We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place for Group in Mid-20's

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best Place for Group in Mid-20's

Hi- I am researching Culebra and was wondering where would be the best place to stay for a group of friends in their mid-20's. We enjoy going to restaurants and having drinks but also would love to be near the beach in a nice, clean hotel.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!

Jax, Fl
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place for Group in Mid-20's

Cara,

Bahia Honda condo facility was excellent. Outdoors bar/restaurant had excellent food and whatever drink you wanted. They have a car rental facility on the premises. They have a shuttle to pick you up on the ferry. Incredibly friendly staff. Great pool area which I really saw rarely used. The facility is not a party place, but there are very few of those on Culebra, period. It is a relaxation place more than anything. The beaches and the snorkeling are world class but the nightlife is minimal. Highly recommend staying there over any other place I saw on the island vice renting a house. There are some very nice home rentals there. Enjoy - we really did.

Shawn

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place for Group in Mid-20's

Hiya Cara ..

IMO staying just out of town would probably suit your group best, unless of course you want to rent a car your entire trip lol Bahia Marnia is nice but is far from EVERYTHING.

We Stay at Casa Ensenada right on Honda Bay !!

www.islaculebra.com/culrentals/Censenada.php

This place is VERY affordable for Culebra standards and comes with LOTS of Xtras .. like FREE use of a 2 person kayak >> apts have fully stocked kitchens too !! Plus It is a short walking distance to Restaurants/bars like Mamacita's and Dingy Dock and as several bakeries and grocery stores >> Easy 5 min walk to the ferry dock where you can catch a publico to Flamenco Beach for $3 pp each way.

Good Luck and Happy Planning .. MsDoDa

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place for Group in Mid-20's

I would try to stay on the island and rent scooters. They're $40 per day. Ride the bus (publicos) on days you go to Flamenco beach, but for all the other beaches, you need your own transportation. The publicos will gouge you if ask about rides to the other beaches: Zoni, Resaca, Brava...

Villa Boheme, Mamacita's and Villa Fulladoza are good choices and around $90 a night. That's the cheapest you can get besides camping. Casa Ensenada is nice but more expensive than the three listed above. The roosters can be very loud. Also, don't expect 3-star quality like Embassy Suites. Try to get a place with Air Conditioning.

There are not many villas close to the beaches. I think there's Flamenco villas. But their $150-250 per night. There are also rentable condos but those are expensive as well.

The island is NOT walkable or bikeable. It's very hilly, sunny and hot. The roads don't have signs and are full of potholes.

There are not many restaurants and the one's that are there are very expensive ($15/plate for not much food). El Caobo is a good inexpensive PR homecooked restaurant, but as you might know a lot of PR is just very fried. There are a few sandwich shops, but the wait is horrendous and same as subway quality.

I would suggest bringing frozen meats or seafood in a cooler and cooking at one of the villas that have kitchens. Or you can camp out by the beach and that's free!

Also, buy your H20 and liquor at the Walmart in Fajardo before you get on the ferry. It's easy to find, Interstate 3 right before you get to Fajardo on your right traveling east.

Overall, the beaches are some of the best in the Caribbean and much cheaper to get to than a $400+ flight to Turks and Caicos or St. Kitts.

4. Re: Best Place for Group in Mid-20's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, November 11, 2009