We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there an Orphange or similar in Moron?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Is there an Orphange or similar in Moron?

This will be my first time in Cuba. I was wondering if there is an orphanage in Moron or area? I would like to bring some new items to give away to the orphans or perhaps volunteer there for a day.

My friend and I are staying at the Hotel Playa Coco Feb 26 to March 5, 2014.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,226 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there an Orphange or similar in Moron?

I hope someone will be able to give you the direction.

But you will not be allowed to volunteer in any orphanage in Cuba and you should not be allowed to give the things to the kids directly. You will have to give your things to the director or anyone who will receive you. It's a good idea to call in advance to set an appointment.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there an Orphange or similar in Moron?

Your heart is in the right place and I commend your sense of generosity, but there's a couple of things to consider...

First, your chances of being able to volunteer are nil. The Cuban government does NOT look kindly on individual foreign volunteer efforts in their government facilities.

Secondly, visiting an orphanage/school/etc. is rarely welcomed (unless it's a corrupt guide and/or school official making the arrangements) unless you're in a facility well off the beaten path that never sees foreigners. The children have their schooling and activity schedules and no foreigner should be a disruption.

The best way to drop off sporting equipment/educational supplies/etc. in Cuba is to have someone at your resort call the facility and make arrangements to leave the stuff after school hours, or do the drop-off at an appointed time direct to the Principal or some other designated official.

Bottom line, it's not an easy or straightforward endeavour and outside of family or close friends living in Cuba the very best way to direct your generosity is though an organization like this:

http://www.duboischaritablefoundation.com/

Have a nice holiday.

Cheers,

Terry

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there an Orphange or similar in Moron?

They have not let people visit the orphanage, in the way of an organized tour ,since the late '90s .

There are a few people that can possibly help you do your humanitarian deed, but not sure if it will all come together in the short period of time you have there.

I'll send you a contact via PM.

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there an Orphange or similar in Moron?

I think the biggest obstacle, aside from Cuban officials not wanting you meddling, is safety. There's no way you'd be allowed to work at many government places, even here in Canada, without a criminal background check. As a teacher in charge of lots of kids, I went through one. Good intentions, just not feasible.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there an Orphange or similar in Moron?

Ok, thanks everyone for the info. That's too bad, just wanted to do something nice while I was there.

Cheers

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there an Orphange or similar in Moron?

Be nice by being a respectful tourist, understanding that you're in a very complicated country with very different political and social norms than what you're used to. No school/orphanage/etc. in Canada would allow an unkown foreign tourist to volunteer for the day, Cuba is no different.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there an Orphange or similar in Moron?

By choosing Cuba as your vacation destination YOU have done something nice.

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there an Orphange or similar in Moron?

I got to agree With Gen , Martian, islander, and Justadd.

Go there first of all , and see what evolves.

I recommend going to the mainland for a visit.

Enjoy!

9. Re: Is there an Orphange or similar in Moron?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 12, 2015