We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colonial Hotel .... Formerly Blau

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9,100 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Colonial Hotel .... Formerly Blau

It seems there may be some mis information about the Colonial being spread by " some " tour operators in regards to this resort.

I can say that it is open and is NOT fully booked and I was there not long ago and the food was very good.

The new manager used to be the food & beverage manager at SCG and he hired a new chef when he arrived and he has done wonders !

Right now it also has the best beach on the Cayo Coco strip.

LENNY

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,755 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colonial Hotel .... Formerly Blau

This is very good news.

How was the service?

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,510 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Colonial Hotel .... Formerly Blau

A very unique hotel! We manage to visit there, from the Sol Guillermo every year. Nice to know a former SCG Guy will be able to put his mark on the Blau, sorry the "Colonial".

Nothing but Respect for the Colonial on Cayo Coco.

Salud!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9,100 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colonial Hotel .... Formerly Blau

Had no issues with service at all , other than a bartender with an attitude one day . It was an easy fix though , just got up and went to another bar that evening , next day no attitude. Jejeje

LENNY

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colonial Hotel .... Formerly Blau

Glad to hear things have improved we were there two years ago, service was pretty bad, and the food was just tolerable.... we were two couples travelling together under the same type of "enhanced package" supposed to have rooms in one area of the hotel, they were put at one end and we were at the other, quite silly really.

Overall the hotel was quite nice but too many families with young children for our comfort, large groups of unsupervised children always make me nervous, accidents happen all too frequently.

We also did not enjoy their beach too thin, with the chairs lined up in such a way to try to squeeze all the guests that wanted to be on the beach in.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9,100 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colonial Hotel .... Formerly Blau

Let me try this again !

NEW name

NEW manager

NEW chef

Good service

Beach WIDE best in area

Things from years ago can only serve to try and defeat all the great effort being put forth by the new team and serve no real purpose. IMO

Lenny

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colonial Hotel .... Formerly Blau

Brought 2 newbies down there with me in November and they LOVED it! They are already talking about going back!

Too bad we missed each other this time, Lenny!

Merry Christmas!

Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colonial Hotel .... Formerly Blau

I just got back yesterday after my 2 week stay (have been going there for 6 years; in total maybe 15-20 visits) and Lenny is absolutely correct about EVERYTHING!!

The resort is absoutely gorgeous right now from painting, repairs, improvements, stunning landscape and architectural details to excellent and friendly staff just waiting for you to visit their hotel. They take pride in their work and are happy to help or serve you...or just to have a friendly conversation or banter.

I met at least 5 people or couples who encountered visitors from other hotels that were there to look around this 'hidden gem' and comment on how nice it is...and ask 'where are the people?'. It seems advertising or promotion has fallen behind...but the hotel is most definitely open and ready and waiting for guest to come and enjoy.

Counting down the months until April?--and I just got home :)

p.s. Lenny: Loved the ball game (even though they lost) and the stadium is awesome. Before the game we were at the parque which is great and the kids all enjoyed the kiddie cars. Only in Cuba eh? One Cuban peso for admission?! The apples for sale were more expensive - LOL

ontario
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colonial Hotel .... Formerly Blau

Well I am on my way back in....24 days!! for 2 weeks. This will be our 3rd trip back in January. We absolutely love this little hotel and the staff , I'm sure this next trip will be just as fantastic. I recomend it to every person I get a chance to!

Angie

saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colonial Hotel .... Formerly Blau

Great news- Thanks, Lenny . I love the Colonial as well.

Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colonial Hotel .... Formerly Blau

Just posted my review of the hotel--I'm sure that I forgot to mention some things...but if anyone has any questions, please message me and I'll be happy to answer.

Happy Vacations to all!

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco