We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much alcohol can I bring to Canada

Moncton, NB
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
How much alcohol can I bring to Canada

What size bottle and how many can we bring back from Cuba duty free?

Timmins, ON
Level Contributor
351 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much alcohol can I bring to Canada

I`m pretty sure you`re allowed 1.14L per person of alcohol. In the past, I`ve always brought back 2 bottles per person, marked them on my customs sheet and never been bothered. Of course, they could technically make you pay duty on them.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,673 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much alcohol can I bring to Canada

…canada.travel/ctc/ke/things_to_know_2.jsp…

Cheers,

Terry

Moncton, NB
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How much alcohol can I bring to Canada

Thank You both...very helpful

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much alcohol can I bring to Canada

we always bring back 2 bottles each also but one year for some reason we ended up paying duty because 2 bottles come up to .36 liters more than we are allowed. We must have had a customs agent that went by the book to say the least. We paid our duty and were not impressed.

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much alcohol can I bring to Canada

You are allowed 1.14 litre per person duty free.

Most Cuban rum is sold in 700ml size bottles, so two bottles would be 1.4 litres or about 300ml OVER your limit.

We too have encountered an overzealous CDN customs agent who insisted we had to pay duty for the 300ml extra, but generally they let you through without payment.

Be honest on the declaration form to avoid problems.

Moncton, NB
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How much alcohol can I bring to Canada

Thanks Kurtsoma, I will declare 2 bottles each and see. The duty can't be that much on 300ml...

Fredericton
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: How much alcohol can I bring to Canada

We went to Varadero, Cuba in Feb 2009. In Cuba we were told we could bring 2 quarts each but it turns out it was 2 quarts per address, if you are travelling with a spouse. We were ok but another couple that were with us had to dump theres out at the airport. They also bought cigarettes at the duty free but didn't realize they had to have a sticker on them and ended up paying $15 extra a carton. Also on the forms you fill out on the airplane it doesn't say anything about wooden products. Alot of the sovenirs are made of wood and you cannot bring those back. I had a few things and they let me through but one poor woman lost everything. She had beautiful wind chimes that were made of wood and seashells and they destroyed them right in front of her. They did not check out lugguage though so I guess they just take your word for it.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,733 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How much alcohol can I bring to Canada

WOW! LizFredericton: Sounds like the CBSA agent in Fredericton really needs to be sent back to school! The amount of alcohol or tobacco products is a “personal exemption”, and has absolutely noting to do with who lives where. The following information is printed on the form that is handed out on the flight, and is also on the Canadian Border Services Agency website:

Alcoholic beverages

If you meet the minimum age requirements of the province or territory where you enter Canada, you can include limited quantities of alcoholic beverages in your PERSONAL EXEMPTION. You are allowed to import only one of the following amounts of alcohol free of duty and taxes:

1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine;

1.14 litres (40 ounces) of alcohol;

a total of 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of wine and liquor; or

24 x 355 millilitre (12 ounce) cans or bottles (maximum of 8.5 litres) of beer or ale.

Tobacco products

If you are 18 years of age or over, you are allowed to bring in all of the following amounts of tobacco into Canada free of duty and taxes within your personal exemption:

200 cigarettes;

50 cigars or cigarillos;

200 grams (7 ounces) of manufactured tobacco; and

200 tobacco sticks.

Friends went to Cuba with their two kids (ages 20 & 22), they all live at the same address, they were each entitled to their personal exemption. They each returned with 2 x 700 ml bottles … no problem.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much alcohol can I bring to Canada

Depends who you get really. They have the final say as to your outcome, if you pay or not. I just came back this weekend with 6 bottles of the 700ml and delcared them as such. Didn't have to pay anything, but would have been more than happy too.

10. Re: How much alcohol can I bring to Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, October 18, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco