We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it really that bad with moskitoes ? is this all cuba ?

Montreal
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is it really that bad with moskitoes ? is this all cuba ?

I'm readu all the posts and wondering if Cuba is a good location, I hate being bitten and can't imagine my 2 year old having full of moskito bites...is this just in cayo coco are there areas that are worse then others ?

PEI
Level Contributor
528 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it really that bad with moskitoes ? is this all cuba ?

been to Santa Lucia, Holguin and Varadero-all last of March or early April and never had an issue with mesquitos. If u have any concerns take a good quality repellant with Deet.

Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it really that bad with moskitoes ? is this all cuba ?

I believe that mosquitos are not unique to Cuba. Or any other bug that bites, they are a carribean thing. Whether they are active depends on if it was rainy, windy, if the resort fogs.

In regard to kids, I found with our two little ones, that they rarely get bitten, maybe one or two bites, whether its here in cottage country or in the south. For some reason mosquitos either don't like kids, or we are more cautious with kids then ourselves and will cover them up or use repellent on them more then ourselves.

montreal
Level Contributor
10,578 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it really that bad with moskitoes ? is this all cuba ?

Have been to varadero in august once and 2 times in april and it was a big problem for us.

Bring a good repellent then they will leave you alone and you will be ok .

Montreal
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it really that bad with moskitoes ? is this all cuba ?

thanks for your response ! Which 3 locations would you recommend ? I was thinking Cayo coco but holguin seems so much more of quality.

Fort St-John BC
Level Contributor
644 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it really that bad with moskitoes ? is this all cuba ?

I was in Havana, Varadero, Cayo Guillermo, Moron, Ciego de Avila, Trinidad and never had any problem with mosquitos, the months we were there was October, November and February and March.

St. Marys, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it really that bad with moskitoes ? is this all cuba ?

We went to Holguin, (Guardavaca) last February and we didn't see any mosquitoes. Sat outside on the beach at night around campfire and we were not bitten at all.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,989 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it really that bad with moskitoes ? is this all cuba ?

If it rains there will be mosquitos. However Cuba is no worse than any other caribbean destination IMHO.

Sometimes I feel far too much emphasis is put on the mosquito situation compared to the many other benefits of travelling to Cuba.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it really that bad with moskitoes ? is this all cuba ?

I've seen more mosquitos in one evening in my back yard in Calgary than on most trips to Cuba. I can't speak for all of Cuba, but I think it depends a lot on the weather conditions at the time, and the proximity to any small lakes or other bodies of fresh water. On one trip, we had a nice view from our room of a nice little lake with water birds and all, but there were more mosquitos than usual there.

Regards,

Jack

toronto
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it really that bad with moskitoes ? is this all cuba ?

It all depends on the weather conditions and how wet it gets, I was there two weeks ago and there weren't any.

Just take your protection and be careful of the scents you wear.

surrey UK
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it really that bad with moskitoes ? is this all cuba ?

Hi Marieville,

We were on Cayo Coco last Sept' and found a vast difference between the number of bites various folk had. We used a plug in repellant in the room with the result that we had none in the room at all. The resort was fogged by guys looking like 'ghostbusters' most days and about twice a week by plane as well.

I think between us we had about half a dozen bites in the whole fortnight, however we did meet one woman who had been on a trip identical to one of those we did (and got none), who had 40 just from the one location. It really does seem to be a bit hit and miss as to who gets bitten and who doesn't. The 3 or so I had were from riding in the late afternoon and forgetting to spray my ankles as I was wearing long trousers (silly me!) A previous poster does have the right of it though, we met several families with children and none of the kids seemed badly affected.

Oddly enough for us the worst place was as we boarded the plane to come home, they seem to open the doors and mozzies rush in! There were English newspapers on the seats and it didn't take long for us to realise that they weren't there to read.....they were to roll up and splat the mozzies with!! Just wish we'd had the camera running to record all the flailing arms, the air was blue in more ways than one! As soon as the doors closed the staff sprayed the cabin copiously and peace reigned, it did however make for new conversations on the flight home.

Hope you have a lovely holiday, the beaches in particular are really special, ours at the 'Tryp' was particularly safe for little ones as it shelved very gently into a wonderfully warm clear sea from a talcum white strip of sand.

Regards Jill.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco