We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Irma

Nottingham
Level Contributor
156 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricane Irma

Hi people, I wanted some advice as I am in a real quandary. We are due to fly to MCC on Saturday 9th September at present no one is giving any advice i.e. travel companies. If the hurricane lands in Cuba obviously flights will be cancelled and presumably we get a refund or alternate holiday. However if it veers off it will still cause rain and lots of it. I have planned this holiday since December and am absolutely gutted I don't want to spend two weeks of rain, England is good enough for that. Anyone else got the same problem, what are you doing?

262 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
10,144 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane Irma

did you read the other 500 posts on the same topic...just start reading.

Edited: 11:14 am, September 05, 2017
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,829 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane Irma

If you can fly to CC on Saturday, you will have some rain for a few days.

There are likely to be 2 hurricanes near your flight path plus one forming in the gulf.

It will be warm rain.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane Irma

You do realize that you booked to travel during hurricane season?

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
20,974 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane Irma

There is a reason this is off-season in the Caribbean.

See also

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g56268…

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane Irma

Yeah we are a party of 11 and feel the same just don't know what to do.

Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
569 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricane Irma

There is a reason why September is a relatively cheap month to travel!! Lol. There is always a risk when travelling at this time of year. I am scheduled to leave on the 12th for Cayo Coco, and crossing my fingers, toes, whatever else i can in hopes that Irma will not ruin my holiday plans. Hopefully Jose will either change his course, or hit after my vacation is finished 😱😱😱. I have always been very lucky when travelling in September, and fully realize that it can be a risky time of year for travel. Hopefully my luck will continue for this trip ;) keeping my eye on the weather updates, and won't panic just yet!! Lol

Edited: 3:05 pm, September 05, 2017
Nottingham
Level Contributor
156 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurricane Irma

It wasn't the first thought

Nottingham
Level Contributor
156 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurricane Irma

Haven't even heard from Travel agents and due to fly in 4 days. I wasn't even thinking about hurricanes when I booked in December and itI was not information I looked for. I was just looking for some advice not recommendations to holiday in a different month. Thank you.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
4,479 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurricane Irma

By Sunday Irma should be well gone from Cayo Coco , now saying that, getting to Cayo Coco on Saturday might prove to be a chore. If the present track and speed of Irma hold up , I very much doubt you will be flying there on Saturday.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
653 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurricane Irma

This happened to us last year with hurricane mathew- which was scheduled to hit eastern Cuba the day of our arrival. We heard nothing until a couple of days before departure, and were given a choice by our operator (SunWing) to change hotels to another part of the island or cancel with full refund.

Reply to: Hurricane Irma
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco