We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st visit with kids

wheaton Il
Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
1st visit with kids

My wife and my three kids (13, 11, and 9) will be staying at the pink house on white bay this feb.

This is our first visit to this island so I'm looking for any suggestions on things we shouldn't miss. We try to stay at a different Carribean island every Feb. When I saw White Bay on the internet it looked like it was right up our alley; all you have to do is set us up on a good beach and we're pretty much set for the week. Is the beach rocky or sandy in front of the Pink House?

Also, we will be landing in St. Thomas Sat. Feb 17th at 2:30 p.m. My thought was to take the Native son ferry from Charolette Amalie at 4:00 to west end then take the new horizon ferry at 6:00 from west end to Jost Van Dyke. Am I on the right track?

To say we're excited is an understatement.

ANY SUGGESTIONS AND HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks in advance!

Bob

New Hampshire, USA
Level Contributor
54 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st visit with kids

well, there are not a lot for kids to do on the island. you'll find that your take some day trips maybe, there are dive sites, and hiking and the like. but the beach has become overriden by day trippers and it migh get old quickly. bring soem games, cards and books to read. we just got back from the BVI over Christmas week. kids (9, 12, 15) loved it but we chartered a boat and moved around a lot.

its a beautiful place.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st visit with kids

Hey gator-gator

I will be going on my first BVI trip with my family ( wife & kids..16, 14, 8, & 7) in June. We will be spending 1 wk in Virgin Gorda and another week in Tortola. During one of our days we will be taking a full day Eco-tour with Capt Colin of JVD Scuba which will involve hiking, snorkling and overall a more educational type of day trip vs your typical excursion see http://www.jostvandykescuba.com/ for more info. Also I know it's getting close but you might want to check out the BVI forum on traveltalkonline.com it is much more active with great source for information. I usually spend most of the time on that forum but occasionally I check in on tripadvisors also. Does your screen name have anything to do with Univ of Florida. Because if it does then your talking to a UF graduate and a #1 gator fan. In fact, my screen name on traveltalkonline.com is gatorman.

Rey

rhode island
Level Contributor
388 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st visit with kids

The Pink House is on White Bay...this is a stunning beach, beautiful clear water and sandy. another poster said the beach gets crowded.... there's never a crowd in the area of white bay where The Pink House is. down the beach at Sandcastles/Soggy Dollar it does get hopping during the day 11:00 - 3:00. great spot for people watching...also nice spot for lunch or walk a bit past Soggy Dollar and you'll find Gertrudes and Jewels with lunch offerings. Chat with Jewels, very unique !!! she makes a great rum punch too !! farther down past Jewels is Seddys One Love...no food but if Seddys there he's infamous for his majic tricks, the kids will love him..you too ! right near Seddys is BVI Aventures , which has assorted water sports, boat rentals, atv rentals www.bviadventures.com -- as was mentioned think about a trip with JVD Water Sports. excellent !! www.jvdwatersports.com. although you can take a cab, for the cost of it for the clan, think about a jeep rental for a day to get to the Bubbly Pool ( this is a must do ), have lunch/dinner after at Taboo. if the swells are up you're all gonna love it !!! we had the best time last year in march !! the kids will talk of this forever !! consider Ivans BBq on thursday night..great food/music...very special place !! you couldn't have picked a better place to stay Jost and The Pink House, doesn't get much better !!! as for your travel plan to Jost, it's right on board !! have a fun/memorable trip !!!

New York
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st visit with kids

I think JVD is a great place for kids the age of yours if they are at all interested in discovery and exploration or just horsing around on the beach. To me the island was a Robinson Crusoe experience when I first landed there in 1970 and little has changed since. In fact I often now meet the children and grandchildren of friends I knew back then. I go to Sandy Ground on the East end but the whole island is a treat and White Bay, where you will be, is one of the best beaches in all the islands.

There is plenty for a kid to do and learn about ecology and the environment and a day sail with Capt. Colin will not be forgotten. Have him include a stop at Sandy Cay, a 14 acre island owned for almost 40 years by Laurance Rockefeller who created a nature trail there that by itself is a microcosim of the ecology and plant life of the Caribbean.

If video games and organized activities are necessary to enjoy a vacation Jost is not the place to be. Otherwise it's an adventure that can really open a youngster's eyes.

Orlando
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st visit with kids

I will be there same week. Make sure you call for reservations for everything! If you wait until you get there things will not be available. I will be the bride getting married at Ivans on Feb 19th- keep an eye out for me!

6. Re: 1st visit with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, August 27, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Jost Van Dyke
Recent Conversations