We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting engaged

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
140 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
getting engaged

Hi

First thanks to everyone who posts in the trip advisor reviews and forums. I have used this info and contributed my knowledge many times over the years. OK so here is my question. I am from Chicago. I am looking for a romantic place to propose to my girlfriend. I came across the sandcastle hotel and it looks perfect. The only problem is the time frame. We would get to the hotel saturday evening and have to leave tuesday morning. That would only give us two full days. I am trying to rearrange schedules to fly to st thomas the night before and then catch the 8am ferry directly from st thomas to jost van dyke which would effectively give us all day saturday/sunday and monday. Any thoughts.... Thank you

Elgin, Illinois
Level Contributor
303 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting engaged

If you can get in the night before and take the early ferry, then definitely do that. Roughly speaking, getting from Chicago to Jost is a full day experience. We left Chicago at 6am and got to our villa on Jost at 7:00pm.

Jost is a beautiful place. One very romantic spot is if you take a jeep up the top. there is a breathtaking view of Great Harbour- and nobody around but you and the goats.

Good luck and enjoy!

Orlando
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: getting engaged

Went to JVD last year to celebrate our engagement. Loved it sooo much we are getting married there in Feb. Sandcastles is great! Also don't think that going over to the west end of St. Thomas and catching the ferry is quicker. Take the one from Charlotte Amailie. The one from West End advertises as direct, but stops in St. John "for gas- and to pick up more people" every time. Don't waste time and cab fair crosing the island, you will back-track by ferry!

JVD is a great place, but I would not want to leave in 2 days. I would get engaged at home, and take a trip to celebrate it. That's what we did, and it worked out great. --- also think about this, you finance will be busting at the seams to share the news with family and friends, and cell phone useage is slim to none on the island.

rhode island
Level Contributor
388 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting engaged

if you can get into st. thomas in the evening and catch the earliet ferry from CA, GO FOR IT !!! the only regret you'll have is not having more time to stay at Sandcastles !!! this is one of my favorite places !! the beach is beautiful, accomodations are great, staff is helpfull and friendly, dinners are on par with any 5 star restaurant/resort !! the Soggy Dollar Bar at Sandcastles is the best beach bar, great bartenders and the people visiting for the day off their boats are very entertaining !! fun days, quiet nights( unless you go to Foxys in great harbor) relaxing mornings !! a PERFECT place to propose !! it will be memorable !! DON"T HESITATE !!!

4. Re: getting engaged

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, August 18, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Jost Van Dyke
Recent Conversations