We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ivans White Bay Campground

Denver, Colorado
1 post
Save Topic
Ivans White Bay Campground

I'm a solo female traveler planning on traveling to the Islands in late September, low season. I am planning on staying in St. John for my first 4 nights and then taking a ferry over to Jost to stay my second 4 nights. I have looked into staying in one of the Ivans cabins, due to the fact that I want to be the closest to the beach possible, and also because its what I can afford. So I have a number of questions: First, is this a good idea? Second, will the Harbour Market be open during this time? or is it best to buy groceries on St. John or Tortola beforehand? also, should I be concerned about bringing my carry-on luggage to Jost, as I've heard the ferries cannot come all the way up to the ports?? Or is that what the water-taxis are for? I am also concerned about the ferry schedules during the low season, am I going to have trouble getting back to St. Thomas during the week? Any advice or tips anyone has to offer that has stayed on Jost for at least a night, I would love to hear! Please and thank you!

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ivans White Bay Campground

Hey,

I'm making my first trek to JVD in a few weeks and usually travel in the spring (Tortola/Virgin Gorda), so I don't have any direct experience with your questions. There is a great forum that might be of help. www.traveltalkonline.com. They have a BVI forum and the folks are super responsive. I'd post this same question and you can get more info.

Sorry for not being much help here, but I felt bad your post was hanging around here without a response. Hope you have more luck.

Chris

Billings, MT
Level Contributor
258 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ivans White Bay Campground

I can't really help with the campground part because we've only stayed at The Sandcastle ( and will be again in 18 days! ), but as far as groceries go everything I've ever read says not to count on Harbour Market as it can be very hit or miss. We are staying on STT one night before we get to Jost and we're bringing stuff with us from there. The ferries most definately come all the way to the dock in Great Harbour so luggage is not an issue. Will you taxi to Ivan's or rent a car? When you ask "is this a good idea?" , do you mean safety wise? The Sandcastle doesn't even have locks on the doors...kinda creeped me out at first, but we had no issues. I think the only trouble you might have with ferries getting back to STT would be weather related as it is hurricaine season.....someone else more familiar might chime in on that... Jost and STJ are my favorite places in the world, you will have a great time :)

Ohio
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ivans White Bay Campground

As far as your "is it a good idea" question, Yes, you will be fine. We met a girl who was travelling solo and camped in a tent with no issues. You are right on the beach and surrounded by other campers as well. Me and my wife camped in a tent at Ivans as well for 3 nights once and were fine. It was "roughing" it and if you have a cabin it will probably be more convenient than the tent. As someone said many of the expensive places do not even have locks or give you a key for the room. Just out of habit/comfort, I carry my wallet and money with me or if I have a renatal car, lock it in there.

If you don't bring anything...bring toilet paper as at times the restroom at Ivans may be out and is often restocked by the campers. Just don't want you to be "stuck" when it may be needed.

We always go "in season" and can pick up groceries at the market or there is a little store that my pal Tony runs close to Foxy's that has some food and plenty of beverages. I can't provide much info on the stores in the off season though.

Google the Ferry Schedule for St John to Jost Van Dyke but the ferries are usually reliable and stay on schedule. it looks like it Lvs St John Fri Sat & Sun at 8am or 2pm and on M, T, W at 8:30am and 3:30pm it Leaves Jost on Fri Sat & Sun at 9:15am or 3pm and on M, T, W at 9:15am and 4pm.

Only day you may have an issue is Thursday...BUT you can always look to ferry to West End Tortola from St John or From Jost as that runs more frequently and then they offer Ferries from West End to the Us VI. Keep in mind that if your last day you are leaving Jost to catch a flight home from St Thomas to allow about 3 hrs for travel to get to airport as the ferry goes to St. John, you get off for Customs then reboard then leave for STT but that ferry goes to Red Hook, which is then about a 40 minute cab ride to the airport. This is where we have found it easier to get the return ferry from Jost to West End Tortola, and then do a separate ferry from West End to STT (Charlotte Amalie). This is then a 10 mninute cab ride to the airport once back on STT.

No problemwith luggage on the ferries (they charge a few $$ per bag) you get on and off at a dock. You may have heard about some of the charters or daytime water taxis that come up on the beach where luggage could be difficult as you are getting out on the sand or maybe in the water.

One tip, especially in the "off season" is plan ahead or check ahead for your meals if you are looking to eat out, especially dinner. It is not always like a walk in and sit down and order, as alot of places want to know you are coming ahead of time and sometimes what your food selection is. Highly recomend One Love for any food. Best food on the island and you can walk there from Ivan's. If you are at Ivans on a Thursday evening do his BBQ.(if offered that time of season)

Have fun...Best place on Earth. If you go to One Love, tell Seddy hello and he may do some magic tricks for you. Say his friend Al (that does magic with him) told you to go there and says hello!

4. Re: Ivans White Bay Campground

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 12, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Jost Van Dyke