We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Taxi from St. Thomas

New York, NY
6 posts
Save Topic
Water Taxi from St. Thomas

I want to hire a water taxi to take us directly from St. Thomas to JVD. Does anyone know how/who I'd call to arrange that?

Thanks in advance.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Taxi from St. Thomas

Check out this link to Dohm's Water Taxi Service:

http://www.watertaxi-vi.com/

washington, d.c.
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Taxi from St. Thomas

How did that work out? I am trying to do the same thing?

New York, NY
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Taxi from St. Thomas

I think we're going to take the ferry from St. Thomas to Tortola and then on to JVD. The water taxi was expensive -- around $300.

washington, d.c.
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Taxi from St. Thomas

Thanks for the information. I will be there from April 21 through May 1st. Maybe we will see each other in passing. Have a great trip.

amanda

Philadelphia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Water Taxi from St. Thomas

When are you going? We have a similar problem - going April 8 - 15. Our flight lands around 1:45 in the afternoon - too late to catch the ferry from Red Hook to Jost Van Dyke (at 2PM). I think Dohm's is rather pricey as well, but found 2 numbers in a book called "The Best of the British Virgin Islands." One is to call Steve at (284)495-9487 or 495-4631; the other is to call Greg at 495-9401. The estimate given on the rate to or from St. Thomas is $175 - a bit more reasonable. You can try them!

Elgin, Illinois
Level Contributor
303 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water Taxi from St. Thomas

Does anyone know how much the cost for the water ferry from St Thomas (Charlotte Amelie) to JVD?

Philadelphia
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Water Taxi from St. Thomas

Here is what I found in searching Red Hook ferry schedule:

British Virgin Islands Ferry: Red Hook and Cruz Bay - Jost Van Dyke

Inter Island Boat Service (340)776-6597

Rates: Roundtrip, Adults $50. Children $40.

Time: About 45 minutes from St. John.

Note: Clearing immigration is necessary; trip may take longer than approximated. Proof of citizenship is required.

Leaving Red Hook,

St.Thomas

Friday, Saturday &

Sunday Only

8:00 am

2:00 pm

Leaving Cruz Bay,

St. John

Friday, Saturday &

Sunday Only

8:30 am

2:20 pm

Leaving Jost Van Dyke

Friday, Saturday &

Sunday Only

9:15 am

3:00 pm

Other than that, you need a private taxi - we're taking Dohm's Water Taxi which costs $250 one way for 5 passengers (although we only have 4, that is the minimum charge). We are getting in too late to catch the Red Hook ferry (apparently it takes 45 min. to get from the St. Thomas airport to the dock at Red Hook), so we either had to hire Dohm's or take 2 separate ferries (one to Tortola, then another to JVD) which would end up costing about the same amount! Good luck!

Wisconsin
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Water Taxi from St. Thomas

Hi Tinkpink.

How did your vacation and travel arrangements work out? We will be vacationing on JVD next year during the last week in March. We are leaning toward hiring a water taxi since it will give us time to grocery shop and would be less stress. Plus, staying overnight in St Thomas for one night would be as much or more expensive; a lot more expensive if we find someone else to share the water taxi. Need some advise....

Philadelphia
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Water Taxi from St. Thomas

The water taxi worked out great, although taking Red Hook back on our return date cost a lot less ($35 per person) versus the $250 plus tip for the water taxi. If you can possibly arrange to get an early flight that gets you in early enough to get to the Red Hook dock before the ferry leaves, do that! I would love to talk to you about our trip to give you some other info before you make any reservations - if you'd like to do that, e-mail me at denisehowell@comcast.net with your phone number and I will call you. There's too much info. to write in this forum! I will tell you that we ordered groceries through bobbysmarketplace.com which worked out great - the groceries were delivered directly to our door. I also packed up some things to bring. I'm curious as to where you plan to stay during your visit. Don't miss out on planning a day with "Captain Colin" at jostvandykescuba.com - he was great! Anyway - good luck with planning - keep in mind that it takes about 30-35 min. to get from the St. Thomas airport to Red Hook dock - getting your luggage from the plane took less time than the 4 of us going to the bathroom, so you'll be on your way just minutes after stepping off the plane! The water taxi was waiting for us and it was a fun (but very bumpy) ride to JVD - I actually got a little seasick en route! But it was great not having to wait after a long day of flying!

nyc
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Water Taxi from St. Thomas

heading to jvd in a few weeks, much looking forward to it after all the rave reviews...have reservations at white bay villa...sandcastle was booked up which is a shame cause it seems to get great reviews. as for water taxi etc, thanks all for the info. I think the airlines and taxis must have a raquet (sp?) cause most flights dont get in until to late to catch the ferry. Will have to do some creative planning...any other tips about the island?

Get answers to your questions about Jost Van Dyke