We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Western Brooke Pond boat tour reservations

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Topic
Western Brooke Pond boat tour reservations

We want to do this trip but I am seeing different info on how to reserve/purchase tickets. Does anyone know if there is an advantage/disadvantage to reserving online vs waiting until we get there and paying cash on site? I know the tour might get postponed for weather....

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Western Brooke Pond boat tour reservations

The tour will only be postponed if weather is really bad...not happening much this summer. It would certainly be nicer to do this trip on a sunny day but it is very popular and it books fast.

If you are to be around Gros Morne for a few days, I would recommend getting a sense of weather when you are first here and then book the tour a few days in advance.

You can actually walk into the tour area at the time of tours (about an hour) and as space permits, can get on the boat last minute.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Western Brooke Pond boat tour reservations

I'd also recommend getting into line as soon as possible when you get to the dock so you can get one of the better places on board.. Our tour was very crowded, and, not knowing any better, we took our time getting into line. Our choice when we got on was to sit inside on a perfect day or stand in the bow pushed against the cabin. We were told people would move around and space would open up on top where you could see more. Didn't happen. Were stuck standing in the bow behind others who also didn't move. Was a bit frustrating trying to take photos while avoiding the head in front of me.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Western Brooke Pond boat tour reservations

Thanks for the tips....we made reservations and can pay when we get there. Great advice for getting in line early!

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Western Brooke Pond boat tour reservations

so what is the best place on the boat for views/photos?

Montreal
Level Contributor
834 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Western Brooke Pond boat tour reservations

CCDM_9, what day did you take the tour - was it on a weekend? I am planning a trip out there and want to know if it gets really buy on weekdays as well as weekends.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Western Brooke Pond boat tour reservations

We went on a Friday. It was before July 1 so I imagine it would be even busier after. They have (had?) two boats but did not load the second one which i understand for the economics. We did make reservations the night before in town but nobody at the dock even looked at that list.

I would guess the best place for photos is up on top deck towards the front. Never had a chance to get there. If you can get in the very front of the bow, that is also an excellent place since you can take pictures on both sides. However, I had people in front of me so I always had to sort of squirm in between two people and take a quick shot. When I wouldn't do that, there was a pretty good chance part of somebody's head or a cap brim would end up in the picture. Thank goodness for digital! I would have been really surly in the good old days using slide film.

One more thing. It was quite foggy in the parking lot and some people were uncertain about making the hike to the dock. One couple even got back in their car and drove off. Half way there, the fog started to lift. By the time we got there, there were sunny skies, no wind, beautiful reflections, and a thin layer of marine fog about 30 or 40 feet above the water that was like the proverbial frosting on the cake. Absolutely perfect so I'd say don't give up on the tour. I imagine it works the other way also.

Montreal
Level Contributor
834 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Western Brooke Pond boat tour reservations

Thanks - it gives me an idea of what to expect. Now gearing up for my trip!

8. Re: Western Brooke Pond boat tour reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 17, 2013