We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Stores in Gros Morne

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery Stores in Gros Morne

Our family will be spending 6 days in Gros Morne National Park this summer. Our time will be split between the south part of the park (Tablelands) and the north part (Rocky Harbour), and we will be staying in cottages. What are the grocery stores like in Gros Morne? Are they more like convenience stores, or can you buy meat, vegetables, and other supplies for preparing healthy meals?

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Stores in Gros Morne

There will be small grocery/convenience stores in Woody Point ( near Tablelands ) as this would be the biggest ( albeit it still small) community in the south end. On the north part, Rocky Harbour is the biggest community ( but still small) in the Gros Morne area, and you will find grocery stores there that stock all you need..meats, vegetables, fruits, canned goods, etc, etc, etc

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Stores in Gros Morne

Thanks very much for your advice. We are really looking forward to our trip.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Gros Morne National Park
Level Contributor
671 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Stores in Gros Morne

The grocery stores do stock meat in Rocky harbour if you like frozen never fresh!! and in the deep freeze for months or years with no dates on it.The produce will be poor at best and very expensive,you can get your bread,milk,cheese, and canned goods and the basic supplies check every thing and I mean everthing!!! for expiry dates. The best option is to get your grocery's in Deer lake at the Food land on the trans canada or colemans up in town. The locals dont shop in rocky harbour except for the basic's to get them though, they go to Deer lake or Corner brook

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery Stores in Gros Morne

Greyhoundlover is absolutely correct. If you really want groceries (fresh food, not frozen) you need to shop in Deer Lake. There is no "grocery" store closer to Gros Morne than Deer Lake.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery Stores in Gros Morne

The fish plant has a fresh fish stall.

We found fruit and veg quality variable in Rocky Harbour - it depended on how long ago the last delivery was. Check out the different shops for quality before buying.

master_ptolomy
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery Stores in Gros Morne

We just got back yesterday from our trip.The towns in and around Gros Morne aren't actually within the Park borders, not that I could see, if you drove a bit further north you will see a place called St. Paul's and Cow Head they both had decent grocery stores, I think Cow head had a bigger one (I think it was a Foodland). We had no problem stocking our cooler with food, we stocked up in Deer Lake as I had read on this forum that groceries were few and far between in the park, but I didn't find it too bad.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
671 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery Stores in Gros Morne

All towns are a enclave to Gros morne if they were not bull dozed when the park came in..The remaining towns were given land to expand and all have a town council.

The store in St pauls and Cow head are basic at best and are clover leaf farms,Rocky harbour stores are not any better they are a dumping station to the sobeys store, domminion store or foodland in corner brook when they cant sell the old produce or the meat is expired it is frozen re taged and then it is shipped up on the northern penisula and 25% added to the price as the grocery stores knows that a lot of seniors up here dont drive. Cow head is a town of 500 and on thursday the truck comes in with 1-2 rotten tomatoes and 24 hours left before bag salad goes out of date dont expect any fruit any where except bananas you might find apples and oranges maybe plums, like I have said before check every thing from bread to a can of beans for expiry. I have a store 1 minute from me in cow head or 10 minutes to St pauls and 20-25 mins to rocky harbour and drive every week for two hours each way to corner brook or deer lake, as do most who can drive. The stores are ok for the very basics like eggs,milk,cheese, canned goods, snacks but dont expect a lot.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery Stores in Gros Morne

It all depends on what your expectations are. If you are an experienced camper then the local stores in the park limits will be more than adequate for last minute things or if you want to avoid making a side trip to a large town.

The stores generally cater to campers. So there is no demand for fresh fruit or meats. Imagine hiking through the back country for a week with 15lbs of kiwi in your pack! :)

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
671 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery Stores in Gros Morne

The stores dont cater to campers the towns exist 365 days a year the campers are here for 10 weeks during the summer. Thier is only one backcoutry over night hike which is the traverse in Gros morne and the last time I went to the store I seen no hikers freeze dried food so I quess couple cans of beans and a couple hoagies is something you take on hikes.Please dont tell people that thier is lots of quality items to purchase in the park I dont come here once for a week every few years, I live in the park 24/7 365 days a year.

PS The last kiwi in the park was seen driving a winnibago and was never found in a cooler in a grocery store any where in Gros morne. Today's selection of fresh fruit in rocky harbour's new clover leaf store was apples no oranges, and two rotten heads of lettuce and this weeks truck was here on thursday and today is friday..

Edited: 8:17 pm, August 19, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery Stores in Gros Morne

A reality check here - even the "fresh" fruits and vegetables that are available in larger towns often leave a lot to be desired as far as freshness goes and don't even get me started on variety. Other than potatoes and other root vegetables virtually everything is imported to NL via ferry and quality suffers significantly due to time and distance.

The original poster appears to be from Halifax and I can assure him/her that the food that will be found in and around Gros Morne will be of far less quality than you are used to in Halifax. I have been in these "grocery stores" and I sure wouldn't want to have to use them on a regular basis.