We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip in Gros Morne

Ottawa
Level Contributor
36 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Family trip in Gros Morne

We are planning a family trip in New Foundland and would like to spend a few days in Gros Morne. Suggestions for hiking and accommodations would be appreciated. 2 adults and 4 kids between 10 and 13 years old.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip in Gros Morne

Have you seen this website which lists all the walks you can do in Gros Morne:

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/…randonnee-hiking.aspx

Everyone will have their favourite trail. Mine was definitely Tablelands. This is one of the few trails where you are out in open countryside with fantastic views. The rock weathers to a rusty orange colour and glows in any light available.

There are a couple of other threads you may find useful:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g580445-i10639-k…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g580445-i10639-k…

Depending on the kid's interests they might enjoy a trip to Broom Point Fishing Exhibit

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/…natcul11.aspx

The staff were excellent and really explained what life was like 50 years ago.

We stopped in Bottom Brook Cottages which are in the centre of Rocky Harbour. They were clean and comfortable.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g499205-d1837…

Mentioned in this post
The Tablelands
The Tablelands
244 Reviews
Gros Morne National Park, Canada
Rocky Harbour
Rocky Harbour
St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip in Gros Morne

I rented a cottage at Middlebrook cottages. Beautiful and very reasonably priced for what you get.

http://www.middlebrookcottages.com/

I believe that they have a review here on trip advisor too. Such beautiful scenery there, too.

I think that they are in Glenburnie, which is in the park or just beside.

Mentioned in this post
Glenburnie
Glenburnie
Newfoundland, Canada
Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Gros Morne National Park
Level Contributor
776 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip in Gros Morne

I live in Gros morne With your group I would recomend a cottage almost all B&Bs' you would be looking a least 2 rooms. Depending on the age of your kids most trails in Gros morne are easy to medium.I would not stay in Rocky harbour as it is the tourist trap of the park and exspensive in comparrison to a few other towns, spend a day or so in the woody point or trout river area to take in the table lands, the discovery centre and the trails then maybe up to Cow head take in western brook pond tour a must do ,broom point fishing,and the trails like green point,bakers brook falls, and numerious more bettween Rocky harbour and Cow head. Take in a live play in Cow head with theatre newfoundland,shallow bay beach the longest in newfoundland in cow head,the light house trail in cow head. hope this helps visit www.canadaselect.com and look at the star ratings the lower the poorer for all accomadations

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
794 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family trip in Gros Morne

I can second the middle brook cottage recomendation. we had 2 bedrooms and a kitchen. perfect for families.

gros morne
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family trip in Gros Morne

I am an avid hiker and live in Norris Point. I would certainly recommend the Lookout Trail which leaves from the Discovery Centre in Woody Point. It is 2-3 hours return and is very rewarding for young hikers as your destination is in view about two thirds of the way along the trail and you are above treeline at this point too. It is a challenge however the views are stunning. I like to say it's the best view for the level of effort. The Bonne Bay Marine station aquarium tour (bonnebay.ca/interactive_aquarium_tours.htm) is a great actvitiy for kids and if you are staying on the south side of Bonne Bay, you can access this faciltiy by water taxi from Woody Point to Norris Point. The taxi details can be found here: http://www.bontours.ca/shuttle/index.htm

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Norris Point
Norris Point
Woody Point
Woody Point
Bonne Bay
Bonne Bay
6. Re: Family trip in Gros Morne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, October 15, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Gros Morne National...