We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving by cruise ship into Bonne Bay

Mission Viejo, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving by cruise ship into Bonne Bay

We are arriving into Bonne Bay by cruise ship and would like to visit Gros Morne. We're not sure what to expect as far as seeing the scenery. Is anyone familiar with where the ship would be coming in or if we'd be able to get to the park from Bonne Bay.

I've tried looking for an independent tour or a rental car with no luck. Is the Western Brook Pond boat trip show us more than what we're going to see from the ship? Can I get to the boat dock from where I'll be coming into Bonne Bay?

Thanks for any help.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving by cruise ship into Bonne Bay

I live on the other side of the island (approx 8 hrs drive) but I noticed nobody has helped you so I will attempt to answer your questions. I'm not sure where the cruise ships dock in Grose Morne but regardless, there is nowhere up that way to rent a car unfortunately as far as I know. The Western Brook Pond boat tour is beautiful and I would higly recommend it. You actually go into a fijord and the scenery is breathtaking! Wherever the ship is docking, it would not be in walking distance to Western Brook Pond. The area is very remote and has no public transportation, so I think your best option is to take advantage of any shore excursions the ship has arranged for you. I hope this helps a little! Enjoy your visit!!

Mission Viejo, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving by cruise ship into Bonne Bay

Thank you so much for the information. Yes, it's Western Brook Pond we would really like to see. The ship is offering a boat tour in Bonne Bay and then there is also a tour to Gros Morne Visitor Center, the Lighthouse and the Marine Center. We first booked that one then canceled because the description just talks about the exhibits we're going to see. We are interested in the scenery so we might rebook it in hopes that at least it drives us around enough that we will see scenery.

Thanks again for your help.

Nova Scotia Canada
Level Contributor
674 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving by cruise ship into Bonne Bay

Advice from Herbieluvbug is right on as the Western Pond boat tour with commentary is memorable and unique with high cliffs right down to pristine very deep water and the narrow fiord is breathtaking. There is a 45 minute boardwalk there and back from the parking lot covering flat ground so beware of that time.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving by cruise ship into Bonne Bay

Yes, I have to agree with Herbieluvbug, this is a remote area and you will not be able to find a rental car anywhere. Your best best is to go with the ship's excursions.

As a former cruiser (best way to travel) I always find that the ship excusions are the best and most importantly are insured in case you have any problems. YOu might pay a little more, but you are guarrenteed a good excursion.

BTW, this is the first time that I heard of a cruise ship coming in Bonne Bay. I always thought that they came into Corner Brook.

Have fun and enjoy your visit!!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
484 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving by cruise ship into Bonne Bay

Adventurous types can hitch a ride from A to B esp if they make a sign showing their destination.

Norris Point, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving by cruise ship into Bonne Bay

I'm sorry that nobody is telling you the obvious.

Western Brook Pond Boat tour runs at 10 am, 1 pm and 4 pm. The number to reserve a seat is 1-888-458-2016. The best way to get to the trail head is by cab. Call 1 709-458-2486 for the Taxi.

7. Re: Arriving by cruise ship into Bonne Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 16, 2010