We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow in September

Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
38 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Snow in September

My partner and I will be in the Spiez area for three days mid-September and are on a budget, but want to see snow. I have looked at Jungfrau but it is way out of our price range. My partner has never seen snow before so I wanted to take him somewhere where he could actually touch it, not just see it. Is there any other cheaper alternatives than Junfrau this time of year, or are we out of luck?

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow in September

Are you travelling by public transport or car. If public transport: which discount card / rail pass are you using?

Most of the years you need to go very high up to get into snow. Alternative options to Jungfraujoch are:

Glacier3000 maybe not as great view as the Jungfraujoch, but a fun glacier, there is even a trail to the other side that is completly secure (just bring good waterproove shoes) www.glacier3000.ch

Klein Matterhorn, Zermatt: only a real option if you are going by train. In that case not a very long trip. Highst point in Europe you can get to without climbing. Great view, ice cave, walk on the glacier between the highste peaks in Europe. Price from Zermatt is about half of the Jungfraujoch from Grindelwald, experience is at least as good. www.zermatt.ch

In case you arrive before September 9, Montana offers a great and cheap trip to the Plaine Morte glacier.

Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow in September

Hello thehaylinator... In September if you want to touch snow then you either have to go very high up, OR you need to find a glacier that comes down low enough to access. My suggestion is that you take a look at the glaciers and see if there is one that is reasonably close to a normal (mountain) railway station or to a post bus destination - these would be much less expensive than the touristy routes. The other question - if you are traveling on a budget - is: Do you plan to get a Swisspass or other type of rail-pass?... if yes, then you can also look at the route map and see which stations are included in your pass and how close they are to snow (look at high alpine passes and ends of valleys). There are a few inhabited places with regular post-bus service that are easily within an hour hike of glacial snow in September.

I hope this helps.

Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
38 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow in September

hi all, thanks for your replies. no, i am not sure the rail passes are good value for us, they are very expensive. we are on $200 Australian per day for two of us. I will look into those options.

4. Re: Snow in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, September 03, 2017
Get answers to your questions about Spiez