We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is htop olympic really that bad! going in 3 weeks !!!!???

Which Calella hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Bromwich...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
is htop olympic really that bad! going in 3 weeks !!!!???

going to htop olympic callella in 3 weeks with partner and 6 year old, really dreading it!!! is it really that bad

heeeeeelp!!

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is htop olympic really that bad! going in 3 weeks !!!!???

Certainly not the best of the HTop hotels - but a holiday is what you pesonally make of it and I am sure you will enjoy Calella.

The hotel attracts a lot of Russian guests who do tend to take over the bar and pool area and are somewhat noisy but I am sure you can find a quiet corner to yourselves. Alternatively visit the pool at the neighbouring HTop Calella Palace - think you should be able to use your drinks card there if you are A.I. even though you can´t at the Amaika - which should be quieter with most children back in school by your holiday dates.

Only a short walk to other bars and 5-7 minutes to the beach.

Send an email to the hotel requesting a quiet room.

Edited: 10:50 am, August 28, 2012
southern england
Destination Expert
for Lloret de Mar, Calella
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is htop olympic really that bad! going in 3 weeks !!!!???

htop hotels do what they say on the tin.

they provide good cheap hotels, normally on an AI basis.

the food is edible, the kids entertainment is ok for a 6 year old, the evening entertainment is the usual cheesey holiday stuff.

it is the other guests that nobody can choose. some weeks you get crowds of youngsters there to party all night, other times you get OAPs who can be just as big a pain. normally, especially in peak season you get families who are there to enjoy themselves.

a few of tips for you,

there is a small swimming pool at the front of the building that gets the sun all day and is normally quiter than the big pool at the back

dont try to put your kid to bed until late, ie after 11.30, unless they are a very good sleeper. all hotels have noise up until the entertainment is finished and it may be easier to keep them up than have them wakened.

any problems with noise after midnight -complain to reception; they are usually ok in dealing with this.

go with the idea of enjoying yourself and treat everything as an adventure and you will be fine

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is htop olympic really that bad! going in 3 weeks !!!!???

holidays a good as you make it. see...ive been to a hotel that had awful reviews and i was panicking before i went. anyway, we arrived, i thought hmmm, not the best looking hotel, but not horrible, just not pretty.

thing is, you just need to realise that you just need to fit in with the crowd and you'll find its not that bad. If i went to a 5 star hotel it would be full of posh and middle class people. if me and our lot were running around screaming and shouting then we wouldnt fit in and would have a horrible time. But if we fit in with then we'd have a great time.

we did. turns out we wasnt all bad. see i can be a bit snobby. so i just rid myself of my snobbery and it was great. if id been a snob id have had a horrible time.

we tend to just fit in with the general persona of the hotel we're staying at. if you immediately get your back up then you'll only make it uncomfortable for yourself.

If you cant beat em....join em.

Edited: 12:24 pm, August 28, 2012
Birkenhead
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is htop olympic really that bad! going in 3 weeks !!!!???

Hate to tell you this but I stayed there once (not through choice. My hotel was over booked and we were offered the Olympic or the flight home basically) and wouldn`t set foot in it again. Its noisy (mainly due to teenagers screaming off the balconies at their mates 4 floors below or above), dirty, especially the towels and bedding which never seem to get changed, the food was near enough inedible ( I was on full board and only ate in there three times before I couldn`t take any more) and the staff are rude, unless of course you are Spanish. Any complain made was greeted with "no understand" and a shrug of the shoulders. I admit that was several years ago but I did speak to a couple on my plane back from there in June and from what I could gather from them it hasn`t changed much.

Do yourself a favour and try to get a transfer to another hotel. Calella itself is a lovely resort with a real Spanish feel to it but with enough places to keep most nationalities entertained but sadly there are far better hotels in town. The locals have several names for the Olympic and not one of them is very flattering.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: is htop olympic really that bad! going in 3 weeks !!!!???

It's not that bad, the food is quite good , three pools the one at the back being the best in the H top group. It's just busy and the cliententle can be boistrous. It may be different this time of the year.

Manchester.
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is htop olympic really that bad! going in 3 weeks !!!!???

Sorry but I must agree with Reremnart.

I was in Calella just over a week ago and we met a lovely couple in one of the bars, when I asked where they were staying the lady was more or less in tears - they were staying at the Olympic and it sounded terrible she said it was full of yobs who were up till all hours banging on doors, shouting and vomiting in the corridors, they were staying all inclusive but only had breakfast in the hotel (while the yobs were still in bed) because at other times the restaurant was like a cattle market people were just grabbing handfuls of food and the staff were not replenishing it! one lady had her handbag taken from the back of her chair apparently they do have CCTV but it was so crowded they were unable to make out who took the bag!! lots of other things but I don't want to go on and on I think you get the picture.

I am sorry but this hotel is cheap for a reason!!

I would definitely change hotels!!

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is htop olympic really that bad! going in 3 weeks !!!!???

Hi we waited there once for a pick-up with ferris we went into the bar area and for what we saw in 5 mins we wouldn't go there for free please find another hotel and have a great time

northumberland
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is htop olympic really that bad! going in 3 weeks !!!!???

We stayed at the Palace across the road which wasnt too bad, but saw the hoards of teenagers intoxicated creating merry hell when we popped in for a look! (that was in May though).

I would ask for a change- print out all these comments on trip advisor and take it with you, to demonstrate what others think.

As a stag or hen holiday, would suite fine, but not with a little one!

Good luck- let us know how you get on!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
921 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is htop olympic really that bad! going in 3 weeks !!!!???

Ive stayed at the olympic three times. its basic. the pools are lovely esp the one at the back. i have always found the staff fine a smle and the odd spanish word goes along way.

as for the food, well there is always salad, [pasta, veg, potatoes and three choice of meat and one fish. they are not the best cuts but for the price what do u expect? the desserts are fine. I am nkt sure what some people eat at home but I think the food is ok.

It can get full of teenagers but I think you will be ok this time of year.

You can use the Palce facilities until 7pm ( including drinks) You can also book to have lunch at any of the other H top hotels which can be a nice day out. The Santa susana ones and pineda palace ones are lovely. Free bus takes you there and back.

OR you could just sit there and moan like spme others seem to like doing.

It isnt the Ritz but for the price they charge what do you expect.

The hotel is clean but dated.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is htop olympic really that bad! going in 3 weeks !!!!???

The hotel is dated but very good we just got back from there this Monday.It is not the best hotel the food is edible, tea and coffee disgusting,take a travel kettle.The hotel is very noisy at the front take earplugs I did and I am pleased I did so.Reception staff can be very arrogant, unfriendly,and rude, dont expect to much help,they pretend not to understand you when you make a complaint.If you are disabled dont hire the scooters they are DANGEROUS take your own, I tried to tell reception staff about two scooters they tried to hire to me and was fobbed off, although I got a refund they would not be warned that someone will get badly hurt if nothing is done to make sure that all scooters are safe to ride.Apart from these problems we enjoyed our stay, the rooms were clean and well kept by cleaning staff.I would not go to Callela again it is far to hilly if you have a walking disabilty.The place is beautiful great beaches, not much entertainment even at the Olympic.We met some great people who helped to make our stay a good experience with no thanks to rude receptionist and bad service at Barcelona airport.

Get answers to your questions about Calella