We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

critique and help (please and thank you)

Which Cadaques hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
293 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
critique and help (please and thank you)

Hi All,

I came to the forum initially when I booked the trip and am back because we’re leaving for Spain next week. I was hoping for a few road trip suggestions (even hotels would be lovely, as well).

We arrive 26 Dec at about 10AM and have a rental/car hire. We have no lodging for the evening planned, but are heading towards Begur, where we do have reservations for 2 nights. After that, I thought that we might drive to Figures (spend 1 night there) and then to back up to Barcelona, where we are meeting friends for 4 nights. I need suggestions on where to stay for one evening on my way to Begur and then on my way back up to Barcelona (we have 2 nights free). I’d like to make a loop, rather than straight up the coast and back, as to see more of the country.

I hope this makes sense and yes, we’re accustomed to crazy driving conditions in all countries in case anyone might wonder. We live in NYC and rarely get to drive a car so it’s a big part of a trip for us.

Thanks in advance.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: critique and help (please and thank you)

I'm assuming that you're flying in to Barcelona and that you are probably interested in going to Figueres to visit the Dali museum (and possibly to go to Cadaques)?

Begur is about 2 hours easy driving from Barcelona so is easily reachable on your first day. In my opinion , the very best parts of the Costa Brava are within quite a small radius of Begur (Llafranc, Tamariu, Calella de Palafrugell, Sa Tuna, Aiguablava etc., ) and you could easily fill an extra day there very pleasantly even in the winter when your choices of restaurants and bars etc., is going to be limited.

Otherwise Girona is a lovely small city for an overnight stay (much better than Figueres) and from there you could head on up to the lake at Banyoles and the wonderful old town of Besalu with its magnificent bridge.

As you have posted this in the Cadaques forum, I'll just mention that it is a longish drive from either Begur or Figueres over very windy mountain roads and there is unlikely to be much open there at this time of year. My personal opinion of the place is that the other places I've mentioned are just as lovely (if not better) and much more accessible, given your limited time here.

Driving conditions in the Costa Brava are normally very good, traffic is light and destinations are well signposted. But the roads will be much more frantic around Barcelona!

Have a lovely trip.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,543 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: critique and help (please and thank you)

26th Dec sd be pretty quiet as it's a public holiday.

To get from Begur to Cadaques you have to go to Figueres (or nearly) in fact,as there is no road up the coast.

Besalú is wonderful.

viamichelin.com is a good website for tour-planning , with sightseeing routes among options.

3. Re: critique and help (please and thank you)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 19, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Cadaques