We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amber leaf tobacco duty free at the Airport?

york
Level Contributor
266 posts
71 reviews
Amber leaf tobacco duty free at the Airport?

Hey, my wife and I will be coming out to fuerteventura on Monday, I can't remember if the airport sells Amber leaf tobacco duty free.

Any answers would be gratefully received!

Andy

27 replies to this topic
Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo, Canary Islands
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
159 reviews
1. Re: Amber leaf tobacco duty free at the Airport?

Never smoked so no idea but tax here is only 7% and overheads can be low so may be cheaper in town than duty free.

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
5,717 posts
130 reviews
2. Re: Amber leaf tobacco duty free at the Airport?

Hi Andy, we too have never smoked but are req'd to return with tobacco for g/f's dad. Amber Leaf seen for sale in resort & we always used The Link to buy . That's now been sold, so we find KINGS (next to Murphys Irish bar) the cheapest. For example, 5 pouches of St Bruno=24 euros (£4 there & in UK £12 pouch!) At those prices, we buy in resort & it's done. Ale/spirits also very cheap there too. Hope this helps!

york
Level Contributor
266 posts
71 reviews
3. Re: Amber leaf tobacco duty free at the Airport?

Thanks guys

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,715 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Amber leaf tobacco duty free at the Airport?

There is no "duty free" when flying within the EU. Wherever you buy, the price will include Spanish taxes.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
114 reviews
5. Re: Amber leaf tobacco duty free at the Airport?

I'd also suggest buying in resort. I've never bought anything on return from any airport in Spain/Balearics/Canaries or Portugal through their duty free as I've always found tobacco products cheaper in resorts. We buy the day before our return (unless we have a later flight, we buy on the day) and pack it away in our cases.

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo, Canary Islands
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
159 reviews
6. Re: Amber leaf tobacco duty free at the Airport?

Well, in the case of the Canary Islands that isn't strictly true, sydneynick. Although we're in the political EU, the euro-zone and all that, we aren't actually in the fiscal EU. That means that duty free is sometimes available on planes (although some EU-based airlines don't offer it) and it is available at airports, even when you're flying from mainland Spain to here or back. But as has been said, it's rarely cheaper than local shops even though they include 7% IGIC (our sales tax).

Because of this Fiscal EU thing, remember you CAN'T take all the tobacco and alcohol you can carry or use personally. The limits are strict, and low. I believe it's 200 ciggies but I don't know the baccy limit off hand. Search for non-EU allowances for tourists.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
686 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Amber leaf tobacco duty free at the Airport?

Last week we paid €52 for 10 x 50g in the town, it was similar all over. At the airport when we were coming home it was a lot more.

york
Level Contributor
266 posts
71 reviews
8. Re: Amber leaf tobacco duty free at the Airport?

Just back. It was €54 for 10 x 50g

Santiago del Teide...
4 posts
9. Re: Amber leaf tobacco duty free at the Airport?

Canary Islands are "outside" the EU for additional taxes. We have our own version of VaT called IGIC.

For instance when we buy items in the UK to bring or have posted to us here, the 20% vat is deducted and when the item goes through Customs then 7% IGIC may be paid then. (UK Channel Isles Zero VaT).

Due to "us" being "outside" the EU Do Note: your tobacco and wine allowance!!! EG if you were to go to the EU (Spain etc then 60 * 50 g packs are fine to "import" to UK. Canary Islands 5-6 packs!!

Check this with Customs re Duty Free allowances.

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Amber leaf tobacco duty free at the Airport?

Cheaper in the resorts.

Reply to: Amber leaf tobacco duty free at the Airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Corralejo