We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling alone with a child...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling alone with a child...

Hi,

I'm a TA newbie... always looking on here but never registered etc.

So, I'm a 20 year old single Mum and I've never been abroad before. I literally don't even know what you do at the airport and how to get on a plane - as silly as it sounds.

Anyway, I want to take my 4 year old Daughter abroad BUT... everyone keeps saying I won't be able to manage?

I'm not a total freak right? PEOPLE DO GO ON HOLIDAY WITH JUST THEIR KIDS DON'T THEY?????

I just want some advice on where is best to go... I really fancy Turkey but I've been told to steer clear because I'm a woman on my own with a young girl.

I'd really like to go to Majorca because there is a place I want to go where my Daughter and I can swim with dolphins... can anyone recommend some places please?

Anything would be really appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
10,866 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling alone with a child...

Hi, Maz and welcome to TA forum.. Some trixy questions you're asking, not easy to give short answers; but I will set the ball rolling for you and see what other members add.

You say "Never been abroad before" - yes, keep it a bit easier for a first time. I would suggest you should book through a travel agent. Take their advice, but also check with us all on TA.

And Majorca would be a good place to go for first trip abroad. (Swimming with dolphins, sorry can't help on that) one. And it's great that you and your 4 yr old want to go; it won't be easy first time though.

Have you and your daughter got your passports yet ?. If not, that's something to focus upon.

Edited: 5:02 pm, January 30, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Lancashire
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling alone with a child...

Hi Maz K

Most resorts on Mallorca are good for a family you probably need to avoid the hot spots of Magaluf and El Arenel and the expensive resorts Portals Nou and Andratx. I would suggest you go on an all inclusive package with a reputable company, if you are on a tight budget Calas De Mallorca gets good reviews if you have a little more to spend Cala Dor or Puerto Pollensa are fantastic.

I don't know anywhere on the Island you can swim with Dolphins.

I agree with the comments re Turkey.

Have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Magaluf
Magaluf
Majorca, Spain
Cala d'Or
Cala d'Or
Majorca, Spain
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Lancashire
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling alone with a child...

KWUK we sound like worried fathers.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling alone with a child...

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies!

Yeah we have our passports... I'm planning to book with Thomas Cook? Via online though?

I will have a look into the places above... It's so hard to decide where is best!

The dolphin place is called Marineland - it's in Mallorca I believe near Palma Nova...

Just one more thing... I'm going to book transfers through Thomas Cook but say I wanted to go to Mallorca for the day, are there any trains/buses etc that go to places? Don't fancy paying €180 return!

Thanks all,

Maz

Lancashire
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling alone with a child...

I think you mean marine land for the day the will be organised tours from all resorts on the island. I would stick with Thomas Cook or similar and use there transfers.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
286 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling alone with a child...

Hi Maz, Mallorca is just another way of spelling Majorca. We did a trip to Marineland from Alcudia a few years ago and paid 74 euros for 2 adults, because kids under 5 went free. It took around an hour and a quarter to get there on the coach and it was a fantastic day out - we've been again since and I'd recommend it.

Mentioned in this post
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Alcudia
Alcudia
Majorca, Spain
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,610 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling alone with a child...

Just looked at this page about the dolphin encounter at Marineland

marineland.es/marineland/…

Although you can get up close to the dolphins, and get lots of information about them, you don't get to swim with them. The minimum age for this is 7 years, and it looks to me to be quite expensive (60 euros in advance, 65 on the day!).

But having said that, the normal Marineland trip is very good if you are into that sort of thing, with dolphin and sea lion shows, and lots of other attractions.

You're right, lots of people go abroad with just their children, and you will cope as well on holiday as you do at home.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling alone with a child...

Ahh I see - I am silly! I thought it was a whole different area! Thanks for the recommendation!

Yeah I seemed to get Marineland mixed up with a place in benidorm where you can actually swim with dolphins. But I think as it's my first time I'm not going to focus on that and just go to somewhere nice and family friendly, then look into doing great things abroad.

Thanks for all of your help I really appreciate it! :-) will be booking as soon as I've found the perfect resort!

Edited: 5:32 am, January 31, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling alone with a child...

Hi Maz K,

Welcome to tripadvisor! Its a great way of finding out about places you may want to go to, it helped me on many questions for all the places i've been to in mainland Spain, Canary Islands (Tenerife, Lanzarote, Gran Canaria) and Balearic Islands (Majorca, Ibiza, Menorca) and we try to answer others, its great!

Majorca would be a good choice for a first abroad holiday, it's a beautiful island and not too long a flight with a wee one in tow. There's lots of resorts to choose from which isn't helpful but Alcudia is a quiet resort in the north, an hour's transfer from the airport. It would be ideal as it's very flat, the beach is long and the water shallow for a long way out, ideal for children. The resort doesn't have loud night clubs and many late bars and the ones they do have tend to be in the same area, the Bellvue area. You don't say whether you want to do self-catering, all-inclusive or other options but if you're sticking to budget, All-Inclusive might be better for you as children always want drinks, snacks etc during the day and all meals, drinks and some snacks are included. Self catering is fine if you want to shop and cook for yourself and use local restaurants etc. Its a relaxing family resort, we use the Condes de Alcudia Hotel there, it's not massive like some others and child friendly. The Delfin Azul is popular too, along the road. On the East coast there's Cala Millor, Sa Coma etc Sa Coma is a smaller resort and they have some nice hotels, we used the Bouganvilla Aparthotel on All-Inclusive, very large swimming pool and mostly families and people with kids on their own, can be busy and a little noisy but children love the splashpool area with slides etc. its about 45 mins to an hour transfer from airport. The South is the busiest with Magalluf, Palma Nova, Santa Ponsa. Magalluf is very lively so you have to choose carefully what hotels you pick, some are 18-30 clubbers etc, this is where the likes of Marineland are but you can book an excursion trip from other parts of the island. Palma Nova and Santa Ponsa are quieter but still lively, we used the Santa Ponsa Park Hotel last summer and again, like most places in Majorca, very family friendly. I think places like Turkey, the Canaries etc might be too hot in the height of summer for a wee one and flights are longer too,they are good places also and plenty child-friendly hotels too but the heat can be stifling with little wind. Majorca can reach very high temperatures as well so loads of suncream, especially the wee one.

Don't worry about the airport, just turn up, check the screens for your flight number (travel agent gives you that unless you book online) and what desk to check-in on, once you've done that you can do a bit of shopping, have something to eat and drink or just go through security (no metal objects though and don't pack liquids in your hand luggage, even drinks, you can get them after security in the departure lounge) you can shop/eat/relax there too. If you want to know anything else just pop on here and we'll do our best!

Edited: 10:02 am, January 31, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria
Canary Islands, Spain
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Ibiza
Ibiza
Balearic Islands, Spain
Menorca
Menorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Alcudia
Alcudia
Majorca, Spain
Cala Millor
Cala Millor
Majorca, Spain
Sa Coma
Sa Coma
Majorca, Spain
Santa Ponsa
Santa Ponsa
Majorca, Spain
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling alone with a child...

My advise would be to make sure you have enough toys etc to keep your little girl occupied on the plane, and make sure you have them to hand, so you don't have to mess about getting them out from the overhead lockers

.And also little snacks that you can bring out when she starts to get restless. And try to choose seats near the toilets!

I would also try to pick a resort nearish to the aiport, Palma Nova or Santa Ponsa. Both are family friendly and have nice beaches with Santa Ponsa being a smaller more compact resort.

And don't worry about it, just plan ahead and if you are unsure of what you are doing, just ask, people do like to help.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Ponsa
Santa Ponsa
Majorca, Spain
Get answers to your questions about Port d'Alcudia