We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed!

uk
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice needed!

Hi guys,

Sorry in advance if I sound stupid posting this but i am looking to go to Palma Nova next year (end of May) we need 2 rooms 2 adults 2 kids in one and 2 adults 1 child in the other but I can't seem to find anywhere with rooms big enough to take the family of 4! Judging by the comments on here the Sol Mirlos and the Torrenova apts seem really popular with families but I cant seem to get the rooms. Is it because they are likely to be sold out or is it too early? We have also always booked through the travel agents but does it work out much cheaper getting flights and hotels seperately? Sorry for asking so many questions but any help greatly appreciated!

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed!

Can't comment on the Torrenova,

however the Sol Mirlos/Tordos would suit you ideally, they have a number of "family rooms" these will sleep 4 people in comfort, depending on what actual family room you get, some are very spacious

what age are the kids, you don't say ??

you can check out the rooms on the sol melia web site, just search for Sol Mirlos/Tordos

they have plenty of rooms where you can get 3 people in, they just place an extra bed in an std room

the Mirlos/Tordos is a family themed hotel and has been No.3 for several years in the T/A hotel list, check the reviews for yourself

as for booking DIY, go on go for, I always preach this, the savings can be massive anything from £600 - £1500, we have been doing DIY for many, many years, when ever you get talking to people, who & what travel company & how much have you paid always end up in the conversation, well the looks on peoples faces when they hear what you pay for the same deal, but booking via DIY

we usually sort out our flights first, usually come out about Sept/Oct the year before, the beauty of DIY, is you choose what time to fly, no late, late night flights etc

anything else just ask

we then book the hotel around Christmas time, sometimes after the Christmas sales etc

this year we will pay about £1500 for flights, transfers and 12 days A/I at Sol Mirlos/Tordos for 2 adults & 1 child (although she is 14 & probably being charge as an adult)

admittedly we getting 3 nights free room only, however we will be upgrading to A/I

last year we paid about £1700 for the same deal, at the same time of year

Edited: 4:09 pm, July 05, 2011
uk
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed!

Thanks for that,

Kids are 8 4 and 3 years old. Its just a bit scary booking DIY when you have never done it before!!

But I agree the cost of booking through the high street Travel Agents seem extortionate we went to Florida this year for about £500 more than a week in Spain is costing based on current prices (although admittedly Spain was AI!

it just seems odd that so many of the hotels don't have availability for the family rooms!

Thats also a good point about the flights they are ridiculous times with the TA!

Cheers

uk
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed!

Just checked the Sol Melia web site and there is no availability for our dates :(

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed!

tiger7111,

as for no availability, I'd not worry about that, I've just tried for our dates next summer (middle 2 weeks in July) guess what no availability ????? in the middle of July, it might just be to early

pretty certain we have had this issue before, it could be to early to book, however you could email sol melia or sol mirlos/tordos direct requesting a quote

pretty certain all the times we have been to Mirlos/Tordos, there's always been people booking in the hotel it self to return the following summer (due to having such a good time)

you will not commit to anything don't worrry

can understand the scary bit about DIY, however you'll never know it you don't try it, and Majorca & Palma Nova are ideal to start with, short flights & short transfers

Edited: 5:21 pm, July 05, 2011
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed!

Anyone got the email address for the mirlos/tordos and which side are you in if your all inclusive off in 17 days

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed!

I've got the email address at work. If no-one posts it tonight then I'll do it tomorrow. The girl I emailed is Annabelle.

I'm heading there in 12 days, yipee.

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed!

contact details are

Pinzones, s/n, 07181, Palma Nova - Majorca SPAIN

Telephone number for bookings: 0808 234 1953

Tel: (34) 971 681900 - Fax: (34) 971 681912

E-mail: sol.mirlos.tordos@solmelia.com

one of the very helpful guest relations ladies will answer you, Annabele, Anna, Sara

as you going in peak season, you could be in either hotel, although the general rule is A/I = Tordos or H/B = Mirlos, however like I said during peak summer season both hotels can be A/I

btw,

Annabelle Dhaenens is also available to contact via the Sol Mirlos/Tordos facebook page

btw, (again)

next Sunday we go, Yabba, Dabba, Doooooooooooooo

Edited: 5:44 pm, July 07, 2011
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed!

Hi there,

We've just returned from Hawaii Torrenova in June. We went AI 2 adults and 2 kids age 11 and 12. We stayed in the apartment that sleeps 5 people. The rooms are set out like this. Living Room including small kitchenette has three sofa's..the cushions come off and these are the beds for 3 people. Not the most comfortable to be honest but if the kids are on these then they probably won't complain as they have stronger backs than us!! Then there is one double wardrobe in lounge area, with hanging space and drawers underneath. Off the lounge is the bedroom, two single beds with dressing table, mirror and double wardrobe as before. This space will probably be fine as you've got quite young children, I've got to be honest and say this hotel isn't great entertainment wise for older kids but your age group will be fine. The kids club entertainers are really hard working and make it fun for the young ones.

I haven't stayed at the Mirdos but heard great things about it - it's a much bigger hotel than the hawaii torrenova so probably much more going on for the children to see and do.

As for booking DIY - I did this for the first time this year. Would absolutely do it again. It saved us a fortune - and to keep everything in order I created a folder in my email called holiday, everything that came through email, confirmations, travel insurance (which I booked myself along with the transfers) I kept in this folder. Printed my booking passes off after I'd done the Ryanair online check in..along with everything else in my holiday folder a couple of days before we left. I would never book through an agent again. I felt totally in control of our holiday and was more than happy doing a little homework getting the best deal as it saved us an awful lot of money. Even down to the airport parking..did it all myself and now feel totally confident booking another holiday this way. I also got lots of advice from this website and another called majorca forum. Lots of experienced travellers on there, who are more than happy to help. Go for it and don't forget to compare your deal with the brochure price - just to make yourself feel good about how much you save!

9. Re: Advice needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, October 06, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Palmanova