We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer work 2013?

Which Magaluf hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
1 post
Save Topic
Summer work 2013?

Been really looking forward to going to work away in magaluf this summer it's always been a dream ! But what's it like moving away all by yourself for so long ? Anyone else moving over for the summer? 100% doing it just uncertain on different points

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer work 2013?

I wouldn't travel unless you already have an written offer of work. Incase you hadn't noticed the Spanish economy is in dire straights and youth unemployment is over 50% so any jobs will be fiercely sought after...

birmingham,uk
Level Contributor
878 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer work 2013?

My brother in law has been going over for the last 9 years since he was 17. He's had a a lot of help with his other brother living there but has always found work either bar work or food service. He's fluent in Spanish so this helps and has had jobs in call centres and reception work.

It's not easy, you need money behind you to start you off with rent and food while you look for work and flight money to get you back if it don't work out for you. Expect long hours too. Ohh his back at Pirates for the third year this year starting April.

Edited: 2:06 pm, January 28, 2013
Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer work 2013?

If the OP just means bar or PR work in Magaulf Trinet, he'll get work (eventually) ok. The other majorca forum has loads of those type of jobs advertised all summer long. Chefs and stuff as well.

newcastle/england
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer work 2013?

I get asked this question a lot as i used to be a rep in Majorca ( although it was a while ago now )

If its just PR or bar work then the key is to get out there early ( end March or early April ) and have some accommodation and money to last at least a week or so.

That gives you time to "work" the strip seeing what is available for the first part of the season. It can be pretty cut throat looking for these type of jobs, and the pay can be low, commission based, and the hours are long.

Having a smart appearance helps, and being very enthusiastic too.

I was fluent in Spanish which helps as a rep, but really is not a problem in a resort like Magaluf for other summer jobs.

If you find something then its likely to be on a trial basis, and of course your next problem is finding somewhere decent and cheap to live..

Its very hard work but a life enriching experience for sure.

I spent three years in Magaluf and it was a special time for me. I hope you live your dream !

5. Re: Summer work 2013?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:39 am, January 31, 2013