We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cala Egos Cala Dor - My thoughts

glasgow
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Cala Egos Cala Dor - My thoughts

Just back from two weeks in Cala Egos and ,as promised on here, i am writing my thoughts on this location.

Accomodation: Stayed at Bella Luna complex in Cala Egos just a short 2 minute walk from the beach at Cala Egos. I will provide a full review of the apartment on the main website. In short though the private apartments were very nice. we had a ground floor apartment with a lovely terrace and garden. Massive big pool with a bar in the middle which served food and drink and was run by a nice english couple. Not too many sun beds though.

Car: Used economy car rentals .co.uk and for the 2nd year running they were fantastic. Bus picked us up at airport, car was ready for us - a 5 door Mazda 3. Price was about £430 including a full tank of fuel.

Cala Egos - Nice quiet location although sad to see a lot of restaurants lying closed. Best restaurant is Beatriz. Also enjoyed going to the cocktail bar called Polynesia. There also a good market every Thursday night with loads of good ideas for presents to take home.

Cala D'or - The centre was a bit busy for us with all the restaurants offering the same type of food everywhere you went. The prices at these restaurants were also not as good as those at the marina which was beautiful. we spent most evenings there. Lovely boats, lovely restaurants and views over the marina. Aquarius and Sancora were our two favourites.

Beaches - The beach at Cala Egos isnt really worth a visit, bit small and dirty compared to others plus quite busy when you get the guests from the nearby Corfu Hotel coming down and playing their games. Also not a nice smell on the walk down past the Corfu to the beach. We also visited Cala Gran (nice, clean and big) and Cala Ferrera (quite nice) but the best beach to visit was Cala Mondrago which is situated in a National Park just a few minutes drive from cala egos, just past Porto Petro. Park your car at the top of the small hill and walk down to enjoy a beautiful beach with calm clear water. Gorgeous.

Also visited Caves of Drach which was impressive but spoiled by tourists taking pictures whilst trying not to get caught by the security people. Also took a trip through to Palma's old town with the fantastic cathedral which is well worth seeing (only €4 to get in).

Thoroughly enjoyed the holiday. We were there for the last week in august, first week in september and we had 12 out of 14 days of beautiful sunshine.

Hoipe this quick review is helpful to some.

North...
Level Contributor
488 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cala Egos Cala Dor - My thoughts

Thanks for that Col, very speedy report back I'm impressed!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cala Egos Cala Dor - My thoughts

Thanks for the information and effort put in to write it.

Not going until NEXT August but thanks all the same

Cheers

co wicklow
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cala Egos Cala Dor - My thoughts

Hello colandjo

Thanks for your review on Cala Egos, found your info very informative, and enjoyable to read, and as am going there on Sept 18th am very interested in any information. Have never been to that area before, so am a bit nervous, as well as excited. Have taken note of Restaurant Beatrix, will definitely try there, also if you have any more restraurant suggestions in either Cala Egos, or Cala Dor, would appreciate, especially a nice Pizza one, as my son and grandson love pizza, also any nice places for lunch at a reasonable price. At first we were going to stay AI at the Hotel Corfu, but after reading on the forumn all about the many restaurants available, we decided to book a private apartment instead, and eat out. Delighted to hear that you had a great holiday, am am really looking forward to going.

Thanks again,

Anndavena

Cala d'Or, Spain
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cala Egos Cala Dor - My thoughts

Hi Anndavena,

Just across the road from Beatrix is "il Padrino" pizza place, well known for the best Pizza's around both Egos and D'or

Depending on where you are staying there are others.

For lunch have a walk to the Marina and find "on the Rocks" bar, good snacks at good prices with great views.

28SAC

co wicklow
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cala Egos Cala Dor - My thoughts

Hello 28SAC

Thanks for your prompt repl, .have taken note of the Pizza Restaurant, can see us going there a few times. As you are an expert on the area, maybe you would know if there are any pitch and putt courses nearby, also if it is possible to play a game of tennis at any of the hotels ? We will be staying in an apt in tha Marina II Complex , Cala Egos.. Appreciate all your info, thanks.

Regards,

Anndavena.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cala Egos Cala Dor - My thoughts

Hi Anndavena

No pitch and putt nearby but there is a crazy golf in D'or

There are several tennis courts run by the council right next door to your complex. They are controlled from the office at the swimming pool complex next door if the tennis courts are closed.

If you prefere there are courts for hire at the Parque Mar complex which is a 5 min walk away, if you ask local you will find it easy.

You need to take your own rackets, also there are some new real tennis courts at the Es Talyial park again just a 2 min walk from MD 2 opposite the Corfu hotel.

Plenty of choice around Cala Egos for you.

Hope you enjoy your stay

28SAC

Leeds ,UK
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cala Egos Cala Dor - My thoughts

We are Going back to Cala egos for the 5th time i think now

first was when the girls were in pushchairs now 13 and 16

we love it always stay at the Club Martha's has shows every night for the kids

they do apartments studion type flats

food is there but we always go self catering to many great places to eat

We love Tonys bar as well good food and a handy supermarket for fresh bread for breakfast

we are due to go in about 3 weeks and cant wait

Ian

Scotland
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cala Egos Cala Dor - My thoughts

Hiya,

Found this forum whilst carrying out a search for the Bella Luna apartments in Cala Egos. First time in Majorca with my two boys aged 4 and 6. How did you enjoy the resort? Hoping to book a place for July 2011

9. Re: Cala Egos Cala Dor - My thoughts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 20, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Cala d'Or