We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarkets

w62
London
Level Contributor
827 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarkets

Hi

I've had a look at supermarket threads but they are a bit out of date. We are travelling to Frigiliana in May and whilst we will be using the local shops for sure (before anyone advises me) and eating out lots, we will also want to load up the car with the basics a couple of times to keep the cost down. Is the nearest large supermarket in Nerja?

Thanks

Tanya

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,118 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarkets

Tanya:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g667510-d3343821/Torr…

w62
London
Level Contributor
827 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarkets

Many thanks for this. Can I be a pest and ask how far that is from Frig? Just to clarify we are not going to shop on the way from airport as we have to meet someone at an appointed time and won't have time to do that. So I am looking for somewhere a relatively short drive away.

Langholm, United...
Destination Expert
for Nerja, Frigiliana
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarkets

hi there it is just under 20 miles

it is a nice big hypermarket but in my opinion the ones in nerja are nearly as good

there is a lidl as you go up the frigiliana road

also a mercadona and supersol i prefer the meradona.

if you feel brave they do deliver to the new town in frigiliana

w62
London
Level Contributor
827 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarkets

Hi Jeromeserena we only want basics as we will buy the nice stuff in the local shops. The Nerja ones sound fine. Thanks

Langholm, United...
Destination Expert
for Nerja, Frigiliana
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarkets

the local shops will carry most things you require and just a little more expensive silvia near the church carries a large stock of most things good fish shop also in the old town (but you need to be early). sometimes shops are hard to see as they are behind a normal door no shop windows if you get my meaning..just dont be in a hurry when you go in

have a great trip

w62
London
Level Contributor
827 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Supermarkets

Thanks - no hurrying required. That's one of the greatest pleasures of being on holiday in Spain. Light years away from the daily commute.

21 days to go. :-)

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Supermarkets

Hi,

Linked to this question, what are the local shops like in Frigiliana for food shopping etc?

Me and my boyfriend are going in a few weeks and we are debating whether to hire a car or not. We are staying in an appartment so it would useful for going to the big supermarkets and generally getting around but it is a big expense so debating whether we need it or not. Our flight gets in at an awkward time so we are probably not going to be able to catch the bus and will have to fork out for a cab anyway.

Your comments will be much appreciated!

w62
London
Level Contributor
827 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supermarkets

We did the same debating but in the end I'm glad we hired a car as while the local shops are good for fab local produce we did a few big shops in Mercadona in Nerja and kept the cost down . As you say, if you factor in the cost of a cab to and from the airport and the convenience of having a car then I think the pros outweighs the cons. I don't think a car is absolutely essential - especially if you staying in the town- but hey, its your holiday, if you can afford it then take the easy option and hire a car. Means you can explore a bit too.

Make sure you use the local shops though. We got some lovely stuff and the local wine is great.

Edited: 8:35 am, August 19, 2013
Little Canfield...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Supermarkets

We always try to use the local shops as the fruit and veg are generally better, if a bit mis-shapen and not refrigerated to within an inch of its life thus losing any taste it might have. We have found prices in some case cheaper than the Nerja supermarkets.

There are 2 good butchers in the village and although you won't find fillet steak they both have a good range of pork and chicken.

Fresh crusty bread is available every day from the little shops and a bakers can be found in the new part of the village.

On Thursday there is the market, and you will find 2 fruit and veg stalls. The Spanish frequent Antonio the € man as he sells mainly local produce.....1€ a bag!! In season you get around 2kilo of tomatoes for your euro...great for gazpacho! Last summer I bought a euro of peppers and ended up with around 40 albeit various shapes and sizes!

There are also around 40 bars and restaurants of varying prices so a great choice in a small place.

Langholm, United...
Destination Expert
for Nerja, Frigiliana
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Supermarkets

hi there

first the car debate.

if you are getting a taxi both ways i would hire a car(as w62 said) prob as cheap taxis about 130 140 euro

have a look here

http://www.malagacar.com/

http://www.doyouspain.com/index_sgalf.htm remember to factor fuel and insurance into price if you decide and need more advice post on here and we will be glad to help.(car hire can be a minefield)

there is a large hypermarket at el ingenio on the way to frigiliana if you hire a car.

nerja is well stocked with shops for all your needs and they will deliver to the new part of town also they do online which is very good .

as for the shops in the village you can get everything you want and sometimes a lot cheaper and fresher.

you will find store cupboard items a wee bit dearer but it keeps the money in the local economy and not feeding a multi national, in my view. you will not get the choice of fresh meat and fish that you get in the big supermarkets(as joan and mat said) and you will need to be early.(i dont think i have ever seen the fish man open passed 12). the spanish ladies have a knack of taking an hour to buy a loaf of bread and a tomato but it is all part of the fun.shops are sometimes diff. to spot as they can be just a door no shop windows. there are many people in the village that never leave so you could mange with the shops that are there. i like the el ingenio for beer as it has a wide chioce and the fish at the mercadona in nerja apart from that i use the local shops for veg fruit bread etc

i have a wee guide to the vilage if you would like it.if so send me an email address via pm dont post on forum and i will send it to you.

have a great trip and let us know if you would like anymore info

Get answers to your questions about Frigiliana