We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Canos de Meca with toddler in June

efp
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
9 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Los Canos de Meca with toddler in June

Dear All,

I've just booked a holiday home in Los Canos de Meca which is described as being several steps away from the Playa de Los Caños de Meca Beach. Judging from the description, it seemed like a beautiful spot, but having read accounts of bums and potheads on here, I'm worried and wondering if I should cancel.

We're a couple in our 30s and we'll be traveling with our 1 year old toddler. We're really looking for a clean, quiet, beautiful beach and a relaxing atmosphere.

Could anyone with knowledge of the area please advise me if Los Canos de Meca will be appropriate?

I've also read that it's quite windy, would this be a problem with little kids? Also, could anyone please let me know what the grocery shopping there might be like (if there are any food markets, a supermarket etc).

Looking forward to any replies!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,884 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Los Canos de Meca with toddler in June

I have not been to Los Caños de Meca for a while but you are right it did have a reputation for attracting some laid back folk but I recall that they seem to congregate in one area and frankly should not bother you. But it is a place to "escape" in the summer for those wanting the more natural things in life without the glitzy hotels and string of bars you find in other parts on coastal Spain. There was talk of some plans to build a hotel development on the west side of the Cape Trafalgar towards Zahara but it has met with strong resistance from not only locals. Salvar el Palmar. The beaches are varied and miles of them. To the east of Los Caños are the cliffs and one or two coves where people like to visit especially at low water and access is usually down a path having gone past the La Breña hotel. There is also a really nice cliff walk to Barbate and inland if you go north through the pines and settlements you can reach Vejer de la Frontera. A really out of the way route and you arrive at the southern end of Vejer where you can explore the town from.

As for climate and wind ..this coast attracts many people in summer especially from beginning July to end August when it is perfect to enjoy the cooler air and those seasonal beach bars which tend to be open all night in true Spanish style. But they should not really be in full swing in June - the party is just warming up ! The Levante wind can be troublesome indeed if it blows but if you decide that one day is just too windy then you have the chance to visit some inland sights. But you may also find shelter along the coast if the wind gets up and it would not put me off going to this lovely area in June. And wherever people are there is also going to be a place to buy groceries etc and you can also try shopping at Vejer.

efp
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
9 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Los Canos de Meca with toddler in June

Thank you very much for your detailed reply! Just like you wrote, we are really hoping to escape the overpopulated "suntan factory" type resorts. From what I've seen online, the nature there does look untouched, with no rows of hotels lining the coastline, which is very inspiring. The air must smell incredible with all the pines there! I would have no doubts about going if it were just the two of us, it's our little one's comfort I was worried about. We'll be flying to Malaga, as that's the closest direct flight available from Moscow, and considering the 2.5 hour drive, I was thinking we'll need to rent a car. I couldn't find any information about car hires in Los Canos de Meca - could you please recommend the closest town where I could look from a car hire place to drop off the car?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,884 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Los Canos de Meca with toddler in June

For car hire I am unsure what your question is. Nearest main town for car hire offices may be Algeciras. May be possible also in Chiclana especially at the hotel area called Novo Sancti Petri. Bus from airport to Algeciras could be a possibility. …avanzabus.com/web/direct-services-to-malaga…

some bus lines touching Los Canos by "TG COMES" bus company based in Cadiz Province. www.tgcomes.es/CONIL-VEJER-BARB-ZAHARA.pdf

Also buses running between Malaga/Algeciras/Cadiz often stop at Barca de Vejer which is on main road in valley below Vejer de la Frontera. From where one can take a taxi.

efp
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
9 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Los Canos de Meca with toddler in June

sorry, just saw your post, have not been getting email notifications for some reason. Thank you so much for all the information, saved all of it. Thanks again!

5. Re: Los Canos de Meca with toddler in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, January 29, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Los Canos de Meca
More Los Canos de Meca Topics