We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Spain with Children

Boston
13 posts
Save Topic
Southern Spain with Children

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Spain next summer. I will be travelling with three children and am thinking of the Costa Del Sol area. I am planning to stay for a month so I am interested in renting a villa or appartment with a pool. I'm thinking of a smaller village expereince and would like to beable to walk to the beach and town. Any idea's on a good location with Children? Thanks.

England
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern Spain with Children

Hi.

You would probably enjoy Nerja for a few days, but perhaps not for a month. We stayed in a villa just outside Frigiliana - very nice, but not particularly close to a beach. The little village of Maro was very nice, check it out at:

www.absoluteaxarquia.com/areas/maro.html

but I'm not sure there's a beach - others will obviously know more. You might also be interested in Torrox or Torrox Costa.

Hope this helps.

Boston
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern Spain with Children

Thanks for the info. Do you know anything about Salobrena or La Herrandera on Costa Tropical? Thanks

England
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southern Spain with Children

Hi again.

I've not been to either of those two places, but I found the following web sites:

http://www.salobrena.com/

almunecar.com/Visitors_Guide/Closeups/Herrad…

Both Salobrena and La Herradura look lovely - if you post again, asking about these places, you'll probably find someone who has visited and can give you more info.

Hope this helps.

Boston
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Southern Spain with Children

Hi, Thanks again. I looked up the two web sites you mentioned. They were both helpful. I've read different discriptions about the beach in La Herrandura. One said it was pebbly and another says it's sandy. I would like a sandy beach. I have been doing lots of reading and research and am still confused as to where to stay. I keep coming back to this are though. Anyway, thanks for your help. I'm looking for any help I can get. I really want to take this trip with my kids and since I will be there some of the time alone without my husband, I want to make sure I pick a safe comfortable spot. I will post again and ask about those two towns. Thanks,

Madrid
Level Contributor
143 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southern Spain with Children

La Herradura/Almuñecar are a great alternatives to the crowded beaches of Marbella & surroundings in summer. They are most frequented by the locals plus the always present Germans and Brits, but to a minor extent than Torrox/Nerja etc....

Almuñecar has some nice big beaches mainly surrounded by apartments, the village ist not really nice but offers everything you need. Nice houses for rent you find on the hills behind the village with great view of the med and easy access to the beach. On the Western edge you find as well some nice houses walking distance from the beach.

We have used Almuñecar mainly for shopping but prefered to stay around la Herradura, either back on the hills or in one of the amazing houses overlooking the village with direct beach access. Marina del Este is a small harbour with some nice boats and views, it is like a little Marbella but far less crowded. There are nice and fairly new townhouses with pool and beach access or again one of the villas on the hills.

Try www.fewo-direkt.de, private homes rented mostly by Germans. At the end of La Herradura is a new development with apartments, villas & townhouses and access to a little beach, all new ( Carmenes de Mediterraneo I think)

http://www.la-herradura.com/ gives you an panoramic overview.

My suggestions: try to find a place in Carmenes de Mediterraneo or in Marina del Este (both La Herradura). In case you prefer back in the mountains you will find many nice places.

We have spent many years with our kids there and it is a great place to be. You can do day trips to Granada (1h), Sevilla (3h), Ronda (1,5h) or the Alpujarras mountains (start in your backyard), visit Lanajaron and the fish market in Velez de Malaga, go and visit Selwo in Marbella/Estepona, an incredible animal park http://www.selwo.es/ or http://www.selwomarina.com/, your kids will enjoy it.

At this time fof the year most places are rented but I am sure you will still find a nice place.

6. Re: Southern Spain with Children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:00 am, January 07, 2016
Boston
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Southern Spain with Children

Hi, Thanks for all of the great information and suggestions. I'm new to using tripadvisor and was not sure where to post my questions since I had no particular area in mind at the time. Now I am leaning toward the Almunecar/la herradura areas. Are the beaches in the area pebbly or sandy? Are the pebbly beaches comforable for children to play? Also, I'm confused about the language. I've read that in some areas (Barcelona area as well as Costa de luz) Catalin is primarily spoken. I think in the Coastal Tropical area Spainsh is primarily spoken? Is this correct? I would like to try to use my spanish/learn spanish. I really appreciate all of the comments I've received. I'm trying to make sure I pick a comforable safe area as my husband will only be with us for a week or so during the month. Again thanks for all the help.

Madrid
Level Contributor
143 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southern Spain with Children

Spain is indeed one of the safest tourist destination globally, just be ware of the typical tourist traps. The beaches in this part of Spain are sandy but do not expect caribeen style beaches. Nevertheless you will have a great experience. Have a look as well at Costa de la Luz (Costa de Cadiz and Costa de Huelva). They have bigger beaches, less tourism but are on the atlantic ocean, i.e. "colder" nights. What months do you travel? Spanish is spoken all across Andalucia, catalán is just spoken around Barcelona, Spain has several offical languages and castellano=spanish is spoken everywhere.

Boston
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Southern Spain with Children

Thanks ChristianK, I plan to go the end of June and all of July next summer (2007). Because I want to stay in one villa for such a length of time and hopefully use some freguent flyer miles, I am researching now and would like to book things as soon as I can. Thanks for explaining the languages and the beaches. I will look into Cadiz as well. But still at this point I really think the La Herradura area is where I would like to be. By the way my boys will be 4, 7, and 9 years old when I travel. Have you vacationed in the Cadiz area? Your time vacationing with your kids in La Herradura sounds like it was great. Thanks again - I'm so looking forward to spending this time in Spain. My husband and I were on the North coast for our honeymoon 10 years ago and we feel in love with Spain. Plus I have always studied and wanted to speak Spanish. - still working on that!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,444 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Southern Spain with Children

Yes Catalan is spoken on Costa Brava and Costa Daurada here in Catalonia, and variants of Catalan are also spoken in in Valencia area (valenciano) and in the Balearic islands. But everyone speaks Spanish too (more or less willingly depending on the person).

The pronunciation of Spanish in Andalucia is much nearer the pronunciation of Spanish in Latin-America which will be the pronunciation you are probably most used to.

Costa de la Luz is very attractive if you want to consider it, especially Cadiz province.

www.interhome.com has a good choice of villas and apartments on the costas and prices are generally very competitive. We've booked through them several times, for Costa Brava and abroad.

www.holiday-rentals.com also has lots of properties on their books and you can check availability immediately and have contact details of the owners.