We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you Spain "DONT"!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do you Spain "DONT"!!!

I recently returned from Los Mijares on the mijas costa.

I don't usually rent from this company but thought I would try it?

We hired the car and to be honest I thought there would be a scam as the price was so cheap. 15.15€ for 5 days. So I was expecting it, however I wanted to see the price and service.

So first the insurance was added either 5.50€ or 8€ per day depending on the group of the car.

I had hired the smallest car but was told they were happy to upgrade me. Of course they were as the fuel tank would be bigger. I said I didn't want a free upgrade but was told then there was no smaller cars.! The fuel was 98€ for a fiat? Go figure.

The insurance could also be paid with a payment taken from my credit card straight away for 400€ or 600€?

Also the small print on the insurance did not cover for

Damage to window, under car, wheels, rear view mirrors, battery the list goes on.

All in all tho rental cost me twice the amount I usuall rent.

So be warned!!!!!

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,086 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
131. Re: Do you Spain "DONT"!!!

I agree Lindsay, we've used several companies over the years and never had any problems, because we read the t&cs and check the fuel policy etc before we go. We take photos (even of good cars) before we drive away and when we return just in case things go wrong.

I know its difficult when you arrive at the airport hire desk and there is a long queue, but as Lindsay says try and be polite, it does help. When the popular hire companies have queues their staff must get very stressed themselves with people shouting at them and not listening to what they are trying to say.

Yes, there are some companies out there who's customer service is appalling, I refused Record and Goldcar last year because of bad TA reviews but Lindsay has used Record and had good experiences so I may well give them a try next time. But whatever company I go with, whether I go through Do You Spain, Auto-europe, Carjet or whoever, I will check the T&Cs of the hire company. At the end of the day they are the brokers are the go betweens and most people's grievances are with the hire companies themselves. At least DYS are making a real effort through TA to help any of their disgruntled customers, there are other companies that have proved themselves to be less than helpful in some of the posts they have made on the forums.

As far as Niza cars are concerned I've read on the forums that if you go through one of the other brokers - malagacarhire.com (I think) you get a better deal than going direct!

One day there will be no threads or posts on car hire where people are unhappy, there will only be happy customers! Actually, that's probably me just wishful thinking LOL!

132. Re: Do you Spain "DONT"!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:26 am, August 21, 2013
London
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
133. Re: Do you Spain "DONT"!!!

Wish I'd seen your post before. I recently hired a car for 3 days from Alicante Airport, using Centauro Car Hire.

Mine was €13 for 3 days on a full/full fuel basis - had to pay €400 deposit that was refunded on return. Problem was they charged me an extra €25 for fuel. I filled up at the service station by the airport so unless I managed to use that amount of fuel for a half mile journey in to the car park, then I believe I've been ripped off.

I've contacted Do You Spain a couple of times but without a response.

Less then impressed so like the previous customer, if you're thinking of using this company I suggest they're given a wide berth.

134. Re: Do you Spain "DONT"!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:22 am, August 21, 2013
Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
135. Re: Do you Spain "DONT"!!!

Siterly, what did they say to you when you told them you'd just filled up and how can they charge the 25 for the fuel? Did you show them your receipt?

CB

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,073 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
136. Re: Do you Spain "DONT"!!!

have to say Avis charged me for fuel when I bought back full. I had to forward the fuel receipt which showed the reg number to Avis. They still refused to refund as stated their records showed returned empty. I had to get a cctv picture of the car showing the date, time and pump number before they refunded. garage was 800 yards from the airport.

Thankfully we have the ability to fight these charges. Did not refund my charges which were high as I had to collect pictures from the garage.

Castellon
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
137. Re: Do you Spain "DONT"!!!

Siterly, you returned the car on the 3rd of this month. Only 8 days ago. Centauro told me that you told the guy that your tyre lost pressure.

Aparently you had a flat tyre and this is the reason Centauro charged you 25 euros for it which it is very little for what other car hire companies charge.

There is not problem but you need to understand that I'm here to help and that is what I will be doing. Remember that you paid 13 euros for 3 days. This is a crazy price for a car. With full insurance. No excess.Full Full.

If you had a flat tyre which you told the centauro's guy this was the case when you returned the car, I'm sorry but this is the reason you were charged 25 euros.

I feel very upseet honestly because people start saying so bad things about us without any reason at all, or better, without realising what really happened.

The question is: Did you tell the centauro guy your tyre lost pressure as they say?

thank you

jose

Edited: 4:00 pm, February 12, 2013
London
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
138. Re: Do you Spain "DONT"!!!

Thanks Jose for your very speedy and helpful assistance.

It transpires the additional charge of €25 was for a flat tyre which was low when I collected the car at Alicante. I pointed this out to the Centauro clerk at the time and when I returned the car. She merely suggested I just to put in some air at the local petrol station. I should have got her to change the car but thought it would be too much hassle with paperwork.

So it appears I critisised "Do You Spain" unfairly for which I apologise, it wasn't their fault and Jose has tried hard to recover the money but Centauro are being intransigent.

All I can say is when you arrange car hire through "Do You Spain" or any other company, avoid hiring from Centauro.

Castellon
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
139. Re: Do you Spain "DONT"!!!

Siterly

Thank you very much for your comment.

It 's been a great pleasure to have spoken to you and been able to help you.

You are a very nice person.

Thank you Ian!

jose

Castellon
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
140. Re: Do you Spain "DONT"!!!

Thank you Kelvin, sorry