We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit cart rip off

West Yorkshire
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Credit cart rip off

Subject: VIK Gran Hotel Costa del Sol

Title: Credit card rip off when paying hotel bills.

ID#: 115006547

On our recent holiday we were ripped off twice when using our credit card. The first time was with our car hire through Jet2/Goldcar at Malaga airport and the second with the VIK Gran Hotel in La Cala Mijas. Both companies should have given us the option of being charged in Euros or GB Pounds. However they didn't give us the option so they converted our bills to GB Pounds. They both used an exchange rate approximately 10% worse than we would get from our UK bank and they also made a commission charge of 2 or 2.5% which wouldn't be charged by a UK bank. I had an argument with the hotel manager who insisted that it wasn't the hotel who did this but that it was Santander bank who did it. This is rubbish and since returning home I have checked with our bank who confirm this. So the moral of the story is insist on being charged in Euros when using your credit card abroad. It is interesting that on the transactions the small print reads ' I accept that I have been offered a choice of currencies for payment and accept the exchange rate.' It also reads 'I also accept that my choice of currency is final.' However as previously mentioned they don't mention this at all.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit cart rip off

The problem is that many newer card machines automatically default to sterling if the m/c recognises it is a UK-issued card - it's not really the fault of the staff.

ALWAYS when paying for anything by debit/credit card ask to be charged in euros, if you don't then most staff won't actually look at the machine and it'll just go through in sterling with, as you say, the extra charges and poor rate.

This doesn't just apply in Spain btw., so it's something to watch out for.

2. Re: Credit cart rip off

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, October 05, 2012